Little Trains Restoration Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Re: Little Trains Restoration Thread

Post by BumbleBus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:42 pm

dtrumbo wrote:You can test the bulb by pushing the red button. While holding it down the light should come on and go off if you put your foot on the brake pedal.
Oh! This is awesome to know! I love all the little tricks these vehicles have. I felt the same way when I learned you just need to close the sliding door gently and then raise the handle to "cinch it up tight". Man I used to slam that thing trying to get a tight seal! :geek:
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

dtrumbo wrote:You can test the bulb by pushing the red button. While holding it down the light should come on and go off if you put your foot on the brake pedal.
That trick doesn't work on my '72. Maybe it's a later bay thing or something.

Turns out it was a good bulb, but a bad little black bulb housing like the ones I gave you the other day Little Train. Process of elimination found it. Wires.. good. Bulb.. good. Housing.. bad.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:03 am

BumbleBus wrote:
That trick doesn't work on my '72. Maybe it's a later bay thing or something.
This works on my wife's '70. Does the light come on when you press the button? If you need to change the bulb, DON'T do what I did and try to pry off the red cap. It will break. The bulb is replaced from the rear.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm

dtrumbo wrote:This works on my wife's '70. Does the light come on when you press the button?
I got a couple '70s laying around... will check those after work. Definitely not on my '72. Little Train is a '70... check yours?
The brake master warn light is white at this point also 'cause all the red has been scraped off over the decades. Yay!
It only comes on when I have the key in the "on" position. When the bus is running it goes out as it should.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 am

BumbleBus wrote:It only comes on when I have the key in the "on" position. When the bus is running it goes out as it should.
Oh, then yours is one of the newer styles. I would imagine that the red (now white) button doesn't depress since the bulb-check is part of the start sequence.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:29 am

dtrumbo wrote:
BumbleBus wrote:It only comes on when I have the key in the "on" position. When the bus is running it goes out as it should.
Oh, then yours is one of the newer styles. I would imagine that the red (now white) button doesn't depress since the bulb-check is part of the start sequence.
The newer ones also illuminate with low oil pressure, IIRC.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Post by LittleTrainJames » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am

Just a heads up. I am still plugging away as time permits.

The electrical is slowly coming along.

The main push over the weekend was removing the nut on the Crankshaft Pulley. I had to get the newly ordered engine tin in and to do that I had to remove the Crankshaft Pulley. After 4 hours of sweat and penetrating oil and vodoo I borrowed a neighbors compressor and an impact wrench and the thing came off in 10 seconds. Oh the joy of the right tools.

Anyway, hope all is well. Just wanted to give an update.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

LittleTrainJames
I'm New!

Post by LittleTrainJames » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 am

Hello Everyone!!!!

Last post was in 2009, Holy Cow Batman.

I have since sold my business, started a new one, moved to San Diego, moved back to Montana, been in three bands, decided on having an only child, built gardens and decks, made questionable romantic decisions, lost 60 lbs, spent a good deal of time in mexico, completely organized my extensive vinyl collection and mysteriously haven't quit smoking.

One thing I didn't do much of was work on the bus. But now that is all about to change again.

So here is what I am looking at for major projects:

Shifter is whacked (totally floats around). I'm ordering new bushings / stop plate and starting there. I saw Colins thread on this and will follow the signs.
Need to get the brake lights working and get the dash seated and the fuse box seated (still a spaghetti mess in progress). I completely HATE my electrical set up. It's a total train work that mysteriously works. I am tempted over the winter to get a new harness and build it up from scratch just so I know what the hell is going on. (is that smart? Are you always going to be a bit confounded on the electrical?)
Need to tighten the steering wheel (signal box thingy)
Need to soundproof the interior
Need to put up new side panels
Need new seats up front (back is passable)
Need floor mats throughout
Need interior lights
Need wipers to function (they are close)
Need a radio that has an AUX input so i can listen to my dead shows.
Need a headliner
Need to get the sunroof working
Need to replace a CV Joint Boot
Need new wheels/tires that can handle Montana dirt and schmutz

That's it! Not much to get the thing humming and camping with BumbleBus.

So cool to view this restoration thread after being gone for so long. Love the site, love the community, hope you are all doing well and I am optimistic I'll have some progress updates soon.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm

LittleTrainJames wrote:Hello Everyone!!!!

Last post was in 2009, Holy Cow Batman.

I have since sold my business, started a new one, moved to San Diego, moved back to Montana, been in three bands, decided on having an only child, built gardens and decks, made questionable romantic decisions, lost 60 lbs, spent a good deal of time in mexico, completely organized my extensive vinyl collection and mysteriously haven't quit smoking.

One thing I didn't do much of was work on the bus. But now that is all about to change again.

So here is what I am looking at for major projects:

Shifter is whacked (totally floats around). I'm ordering new bushings / stop plate and starting there. I saw Colins thread on this and will follow the signs.
Need to get the brake lights working and get the dash seated and the fuse box seated (still a spaghetti mess in progress). I completely HATE my electrical set up. It's a total train work that mysteriously works. I am tempted over the winter to get a new harness and build it up from scratch just so I know what the hell is going on. (is that smart? Are you always going to be a bit confounded on the electrical?)
Need to tighten the steering wheel (signal box thingy)
Need to soundproof the interior
Need to put up new side panels
Need new seats up front (back is passable)
Need floor mats throughout
Need interior lights
Need wipers to function (they are close)
Need a radio that has an AUX input so i can listen to my dead shows.
Need a headliner
Need to get the sunroof working
Need to replace a CV Joint Boot
Need new wheels/tires that can handle Montana dirt and schmutz

That's it! Not much to get the thing humming and camping with BumbleBus.

So cool to view this restoration thread after being gone for so long. Love the site, love the community, hope you are all doing well and I am optimistic I'll have some progress updates soon.
Welcome back. A month in Poptoptom's world is five years, so I guess you're within our flexible time intervals.
Colin :bom:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles