UPDATE -Stranded folks in Portland, OR -RIPPED OFF BY.......

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 am

I just read Jason's blog. I would have lit that place on fire! What a scam artist.

You probably did the best thing you could do at the time. Better the money go into a new engine than in the scammer's pocket.

I would report him to the better business bureau.

Anything you guys can do in the Portland area?
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am

yes, but according to the "State" I have been rehabilitated.... :pirate:

Better Business Bureau is a good start. Filing a report and posting at the 'business review' sites as well.

A clear post of the 'bad moves' woudl be helpful too. The 'ripped off' part can be tricky when it comes to the variables in 'service' and recommended practice. Writen and verbal statements can be turned on a person if someone claims that is has caused financial harm and the 'proof' is tenuous.

The fact that they could not produce the original case is very concerning.

This may just be another buyer beware story that I am thankful has been posted here. This should help in keeping our ears pricked up and to help others to keep theirs up.

I know I will not recommend the shop.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

jmiller
I'm New!

rip off dude on CL

Post by jmiller » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 am

Ok, I just looked, and here is his posting on Craigslist...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/aos/1396731891.html
LETS FLlAG THIS GUY INTO NEVER NEVER LAND!!!!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: rip off dude on CL

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 am

If he can't spell brakes, I doubt I would want him working on mine.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 am

I really sympathize with these folks but based on what he himself wrote in his blog, WTF was he thinking ... !!!
After getting lot’s of recommendations for VW shops in the Portland area (thanks!), I called pretty much every one of them to see what they could do. Most folks could rebuild what I had, but weren’t sure when they could get started or when it would be ready. I did more research and ended up calling every other shop in the greater Portland area and found the same story – nobody has a rebuilt bus engine ready to go and pretty much none of them could start on mine right away – except one.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Desperate times desperate measures and what sounds like a guy (Mr. Bodeswell) that recognizes that in his haste he made himself vulnerable.

Does not excuse what appears to be out and out thievery.
Had Mr Mechanic been able to produce the original engine (with potentially valuable components) he may have had a good argument for billable shop hours. without it he puts himself into the 'scoundrel' category.

Still wasn't a "rebuild" but a 'replacement' that required modifications to be usable.

there was likely no contract or service agreement in place which makes it harder to pursue in the legal world, though the witnesses present would be helpful.
The 'dont f#@k with Gypsie' part of me would make this shop's life miserable for as long as possible until I was satisfied, if for no other reason than to make the point that one shouldn't f@#k with folk you don't know. The 'other shop' line would have sparked a 'why don't you give them a call so we can confirm that it is there and we can pick it up. The missing engine would have prompted a cop to be present for the robbery that just took place. photo's and police reports would soon follow.

I also understand that the family is on the first legs of an extended road trip and letting go is also an important factor to consider.

I think I'll drive by and give the shop the evil eye...

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Was there any kind of receipt given to Jason for the engine? Maybe one is not needed because it was a bus engine that was taken and not a bus engine that was given. If you have serial numbers to your engine, I would file a police report.

He refuses to give back your engine and did not perform the repairs you agreed upon. I don't think he is owed anything. Any time he put into the bus that was outside of their contract is on the mechanic.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:39 pm

I believe they did not take anything away with them. They actually were down one engine that could not be located. ????!!!!????

It may have been located, if I am recollecting the post I read this morning (short term memory anyone?....) but to get it back the shop was extorting $$$ for 'labor'...

I do think that at the very least a police report should be filed for the stolen engine/extortion attempt.

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:14 am

And they should go over on the Samba forum thread posted earlier and give this place very bad feedback. That link only showed one so far so it needs a 2nd bad one for sure. tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:22 am

It seems a little selfish to not take the matter further to protect others.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

hambone wrote:It seems a little selfish to not take the matter further to protect others.
Agreed. Shysters should not be allowed to get away with crap like this.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Should we all put on our flannel shirts and go park on his lawn?

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:32 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:Should we all put on our flannel shirts and go park on his lawn?
Word. Bring this dude, too. His blue doggie looks tough.

1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Bullocks!

A business that racks up enough complaints with the BBB forces the owner to attend business classes. That way they are clear on what's legal, and illegal, acceptable, and unacceptable. Unfortunately, the consequence is a much better informed, harder to prosecute rip-off artist.

But you have to start somewhere.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 pm

hambone wrote:It seems a little selfish to not take the matter further to protect others.
See Polanski thread...