1992 AMC head inspection.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

1992 AMC head inspection.

Post by spiffy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:52 am

After running out of parts to put on last night I dove into the box of goodies that came off of my top end rebuild in May. The #3 and 4 head had two sunk intake valves and I started to look at the casting on the cooling fins as compares to the 1 and 2 side. When I looked down in between the intake and exhaust cooling fins I noticed alot of left over material...ie where there should be a nice passage...there is a little blockage. 1 and 2 head didn't have this problem :-s The front of the 3 and 4 head also didn't have as much space bewteen the fins as the other side......both these issues did not show up on a set of VW 1800 heads that I have lying around. The VW heads had nice, clean fins and no blockage what soever....The 3 and 4 head only lasted 50K...I am sure this didn't help any!!! I have a new set of AMC heads on right now and I think I am going to pull the tin and have fun with a file if needs be....any concerns or tips on how to go about this? I will try and post some pics later.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:45 am

I've read on that other site, in the performance forums that that is a good idea. Some suggestions were a metal cutting blade on a circular saw and a grinder,files and die grinders.

Bill

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:53 am

vdubyah73 wrote:I've read on that other site, in the performance forums that that is a good idea. Some suggestions were a metal cutting blade on a circular saw and a grinder,files and die grinders.

Bill

Circular saw?? I am sure it works but eeeegads!! I would be scared sh*&less to hover over my heads with that much power of destruction in my hands. All I have is small files....probably going to take me awhile....at least there is shade under the bus.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:22 am

I would imagine that would be with the head off the engine. Maybe they meant one of those little newfangled battery ones? :dshock:

Bill

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Hack saw and then a file works.

I got a circular grind wheel that hooked onto my drill. That worked real well. The cylinders also often have casting flash left in them.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:48 pm

After you file the flashing, check the oil cooler too. Little phillips screwdriver blades can help you open any fins mashed closed. Brake cleaner or Gum Out with the little red straw seems to rinse out the fins pretty nice. Do have a pan under it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:09 pm

Well, I went outside today to start this project and I pull the tin between the exchanger and the case and notice that I can't pull the cylinder tin without removing the PR tubes #-o Any idears?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:31 pm

To get the the tin between the pr tubes and the cylinders on the t4s off, you have to remove the pr tubes.

If you really want to go at this seriously you need to pull the engine. You'll save time in the long run...of course you won't be able to drive it for awhile...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:10 pm

spiffy wrote:Well, I went outside today to start this project and I pull the tin between the exchanger and the case and notice that I can't pull the cylinder tin without removing the PR tubes #-o Any idears?
Yep. Remove the pushrod tubes and cover the lifter bores before you start filing. Slap in some new pushrod tube seals and adjust your valves.
Colin

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
spiffy wrote:Well, I went outside today to start this project and I pull the tin between the exchanger and the case and notice that I can't pull the cylinder tin without removing the PR tubes #-o Any idears?
Yep. Remove the pushrod tubes and cover the lifter bores before you start filing. Slap in some new pushrod tube seals and adjust your valves.
Colin
Oy.....you would think any VW shop would know to do that....never again will I NOT do my own work.....

And the PR tubes aren't leaking right now :smt089
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:25 pm

spiffy wrote: you would think any VW shop would know to do that....
never again will I NOT do my own work.....
Time Is Money shops will not do those little things
Flash filing is an act of love.
Colin