Fuel Pressure Regulator

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Found vacuum leak #2 today... The fuel pressure regulator.

From reading the Bentley, it appears that there's a single diaphragm that is operated under pressure by a spring and assisted by vacuum to drop pressure about an additional 7psi during high vacuum conditions (decel).

I yanked the vacuum line and plugged it. Now my part throttle stuttering is gone. (The idle was fixed by new points and the aux air regulator elbow.) I can live with losing a bit more fuel during decel for now.

Now here's my question: Does the fuel ever touch the diaphragm the vacuum is pulling on? Because if it is, then it would have to be leaking. But I cannot find any sign of leaks.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:24 pm

DurocShark wrote: Now here's my question: Does the fuel ever touch the diaphragm the vacuum is pulling on? Because if it is, then it would have to be leaking. But I cannot find any sign of leaks.
I am going to say that the fuel definitely touches the diaphram on the other side of the spring....it looks like it adjusts the pressure by changing the volume of the chamber on the front (front means front) of the regulator.
Let me know if you want the regulator and I will hook you up.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:28 pm

spiffy wrote:
DurocShark wrote: Now here's my question: Does the fuel ever touch the diaphragm the vacuum is pulling on? Because if it is, then it would have to be leaking. But I cannot find any sign of leaks.
I am going to say that the fuel definitely touches the diaphram on the other side of the spring....it looks like it adjusts the pressure by changing the volume of the chamber on the front (front means front) of the regulator.
Crap. I'm hitting the road for CO first thing in the morning. Grr...

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:37 pm

DurocShark wrote:
spiffy wrote:
I also referenced vwbusrepairman's fuel injection manual.....

Consolation...I drove my bus for a 2 years with the regulator hooked up to the throttle body (damn PO).....I am chasing a fuel delivery/hot head temp problem and I have a HUGE trip coming up in two weeks...I feel your pain 8-[
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:40 pm

spiffy wrote:
DurocShark wrote:
spiffy wrote:
I also referenced vwbusrepairman's fuel injection manual.....

Consolation...I drove my bus for a 2 years with the regulator hooked up to the throttle body (damn PO).....I am chasing a fuel delivery/hot head temp problem and I have a HUGE trip coming up in two weeks...I feel your pain 8-[
Well, I'll call around to find one but I don't have a choice on leaving in the morning. :( Sucks. No wonder I'm getting 13-15mpg.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Holy crap! $90 for a new one!!!!

(EDIT: $60 at Napa. The $90 price was from BD.)

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Napa is so cool they gots all kinds of stuff.

Bill

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:56 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Napa is so cool they gots all kinds of stuff.

Bill
Do they have GL4?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Yes they do or so I've read on that other site. Search it on there and with patience You'll even be able to find the part number. It won't be that old maybe a couple weeks back.

Bill

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:52 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Yes they do or so I've read on that other site. Search it on there and with patience You'll even be able to find the part number. It won't be that old maybe a couple weeks back.

Bill
Sweet, thanks.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:29 pm

DurocShark wrote: Does the fuel ever touch the diaphragm the vacuum is pulling on? Because if it is, then it would have to be leaking.
If the pressure regulator is leaking on the vacuum side, it does not necessarily have to be a hole in the diaphragm where the fuel is indeed pushing against it. It could leak vacuum between the diaphragm and the crimp on the housing. I haven't seen one leak fuel or vacuum. I have seen the ball check lose its ability to hold back the fuel pressure when the engine is shut off and not throttle back the pressure under vacuum.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
DurocShark wrote: Does the fuel ever touch the diaphragm the vacuum is pulling on? Because if it is, then it would have to be leaking.
If the pressure regulator is leaking on the vacuum side, it does not necessarily have to be a hole in the diaphragm where the fuel is indeed pushing against it. It could leak vacuum between the diaphragm and the crimp on the housing. I haven't seen one leak fuel or vacuum. I have seen the ball check lose its ability to hold back the fuel pressure when the engine is shut off and not throttle back the pressure under vacuum.
Colin
Thanks.

I confirmed it's leaking vacuum, but cannot find any sign of fuel seepage at all. Even after driving home from CA. So it'll do as-is for now.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:40 pm

spiffy wrote: I also referenced vwbusrepairman's fuel injection manual.....
1. It wouldn't be online without the help of Durocshark to host it
2. I served some jail time for the copyright enfringements for that stinkin' manual
3. glad it has been there to help you all
4. I am glad for numbered lists and fuel injection!

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:44 pm

VWBusrepairman78 wrote: 2. I served some jail time for the copyright enfringements for that stinkin' manual
Sooo... How's Bubba?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:50 pm

DurocShark wrote:
VWBusrepairman78 wrote: 2. I served some jail time for the copyright enfringements for that stinkin' manual
Sooo... How's Bubba?
Thanks to both of you....that manual is very handy.

What's that you say about the 'sisters'? 8-[
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"