The Craigslist Bus Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Yeah.... "business".....

More like me wasting my time with buses when I should be spending it "working"... :blackeye:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:01 pm

DjEep wrote:Yeah.... "business".....

More like me wasting my time with buses when I should be spending it "working"... :blackeye:
I resemble that remark.

It's a goot bidness, yep yep yep aha aha yep yep yep aha aha
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Now I've gone n dunnit....

[albumimg]1767[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1768[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1769[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1770[/albumimg]
(pics from the ad on CL)

It's a '79, almost-original. 77,500miles on OG engine, which runs like a top, (after I "fixed" the "broken" alternator) Shifts like butta (well butta for the "scat" shifter), steers like a dream (if you ignore the squishy 1400lb tires). Made the trip from PDX to YooJeen just dandy this morning.

Only real minuses are the rust in the battery area (the rest is pretty clean, possibly og paint), and the non-functional sunroof. But it came with a free set of brake shoes and a spankin' new muffler!

The interior is a bit dirty but fairly intact, missing the sliding door cover panel and has slightly mangled front door panels. Anybody know any good ways to brighten up a dirty headliner? I'd think bleach may be a bit harsh.

I'm not yet sure whether it will be parted or get a little spiff-n-tune-n-flip, I'd prefer not to "part" with it, ifyanowaddameen. But looking on TS classifieds, the engine alone could "pay" for the bus....
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:41 pm

Looks like a real solid bus DJ. A little diluted Simple Green will bring back the headliner to a nice bright white. I'd say a quick clean/polish and tune would get you a nice little profit depending on what you paid for it. Looks to nice to part.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:04 pm

The only real deal-killer in terms of profiting from selling it whole, IMO, is the rust hole behind the battery, under the tail light. But from what I've seen, that's common for late buses.

Oh, and it was $800, because "nobody wanted to buy a non-running bus." Turns out the "fatal" issue was the missing alternator-tension bolt, so the belt was slipping. I blame the lack of a sale more on the fact that it was listed as a "Volkswagon", so it wouldn't pop up if one searched for "VW" or "Volkswagen". Only people who don't know buses, or, like me, really know buses, and more importantly their craigslist "habits", would search for "Volkswagon".

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:22 pm

How big is the rust hole. It is a common area for cancer on late bus'. I have it on mine but you can't see it when the bumper is on. I'd say with a good cleaning and a wax job you should easily be able to double your money.

Those in the know always search for all variations of VW, Volkswagen, Volkswagon. :cheers:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:05 pm

If you need help getting the sunroof working...PM me before you do anything. DO NOT try to force the thing open. Looks like a solid bus and a good buy!
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Nice!!

A little rubbing compound and some wax and that thing will be bling bling. Cool that it still has the middle seat, ya could fix that hole with some bondo and a little matching paint. I have done wonders with bondo, of course I have burned out a sander.....nuff said.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Westy78 wrote:How big is the rust hole. It is a common area for cancer on late bus'. I have it on mine but you can't see it when the bumper is on. I'd say with a good cleaning and a wax job you should easily be able to double your money.

Those in the know always search for all variations of VW, Volkswagen, Volkswagon. :cheers:
Don't forget "Voltswagon"!

The hole is a fairly big, about the size of a small lime, and the rust inside the tray is pretty bad, definitely gonna need some attention. It has also spread to the side marker. Eek. It hurts to look there after seeing the rest of the bus.

The prized middle seat is tear and crack free, but the driver's is a bit worn. And the heat works great!

In related news, at my gas stop on the way home, I gave the lady at the pump $20 and she started the pump. I walked around back to take a peak in the engine bay. I noticed the pump stop short, so I told her I just bought it, the gas gauge is shot, I don't know how much is in there, and that it is possibly full. She keeps pulling the trigger and it keeps stopping. I repeat, it is probably full then. As I step around the side of the bus towards her, she says, "I can't tell if that's gas or water," as gas pours from the bus, shimmering and swirling on the wet ground!!!! I wonder if she had to pee in a cup for that job...

I hear so many similar stories about pump attendants here in OR, and I've now had at least two first hand in less than a year, plus many "mysterious" stains flowing down from the gas cap. In my years of driving in CA, I never had anything worse happen at the pump than the fabled drive off. And the hoses are quick-disconnect now, so it was no big deal. I like the convenience, but as for being a "safety measure" HA!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:18 pm

Anytime I am in OR I tell the gas dude to STOP at the first click, some of them still try to give it more so I stand there and watch them so they get it right.

Don't like smelling gas for an hour when I get back on the road.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Gosh that's funny... I live up in Washington and everytime I cruise down to Portland to visit the folks and I need to gas up, I always get out and explain to the Fuel Distribution Technician or "attendant" that it's real tricky and you need to turn the nozzle kinda sideways and only squeeze the lever halfway so the fuel doesn't rush in and start pouring out and... Basically anything that persuades them to let me pump it myself and it's worked 100% of the time in Oregon! 100% only counts to about 10-15 times but it really has worked every single time!
Maybe give it a shot....

BTW, there's really nothing wrong with my gas filling technique, I just "fib" because I can relate to DjEep! It's happend to me before!
NICE FIND DjEep! =D>
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:37 am

Its not on craigslist but on the *amba. 78 westy in bloomington, indiana for $900 or bo. Looks like a steal. Im not sure how to post links otherwise I would. Its new today.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:47 am

mattg wrote:Its not on craigslist but on the *amba. 78 westy in bloomington, indiana for $900 or bo. Looks like a steal. Im not sure how to post links otherwise I would. Its new today.
This one? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=579501

Looks pretty decent.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:01 am

yeah, thats the one...I wonder if you could get that price down to say $600.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:49 am

mattg wrote:yeah, thats the one...I wonder if you could get that price down to say $600.
I'd offer $500 cash and it is out of there in just a few days. Heck, that case of Coors is worth $40 to the underage Hoosier kids hanging out at the 7/11 parking lot.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.