The Craigslist Bus Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: The Craigslist Bus Thread

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

$56k? For a bay without the original motor? guess you can ask for anything.... but what you get....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Volkswagen ... 2289188838

edit.... stand corrected, they do provide the original engine. Still seems high....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:50 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:$56k? For a bay without the original motor? guess you can ask for anything.... but what you get....

edit.... stand corrected, they do provide the original engine. Still seems high....
It is a real low mileage vehicle, but it has been a bit dorked with.

So, what do I sell the BobD for?

Ad Copy:
For Sale 1978 Original VW Bus @ 110,000 miles all original paint upholstery and parts

$56,000.00
(comes with spare all original '77 Westfalia @ 67,800 miles)

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:$56k? For a bay without the original motor? guess you can ask for anything.... but what you get....

It is a real low mileage vehicle, but it has been a bit dorked with.

So, what do I sell the BobD for?

Ad Copy:
For Sale 1978 Original VW Bus @ 110,000 miles all original paint upholstery and parts

$56,000.00
(comes with spare all original '77 Westfalia @ 67,800 miles)

" For Sale - Celebrity owned 1978 Original VW Bus @ 110,000 miles all original paint upholstery and parts"

That'll do it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:12 pm

tommu wrote: " For Sale - Celebrity owned 1978 Original VW Bus @ 110,000 miles all original paint upholstery and parts"

That'll do it.
Now that I have been wrenched from my beloved Lexus LS400 creampuff old man car, I am hanging on to the remainder of the fleet with more desperation. This is something I must get a handle on. I see my cars as irreplaceable and sometimes good traveling companions. Release! Release!
ColinNo

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:44 pm

One should never despair in desperation...

Who's pedantic now?

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Now that I have been wrenched from my beloved Lexus LS400 creampuff old man car, I am hanging on to the remainder of the fleet with more desperation. This is something I must get a handle on. I see my cars as irreplaceable and sometimes good traveling companions. Release! Release!
ColinNo
Did you sell the Lexus?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:26 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Now that I have been wrenched from my beloved Lexus LS400 creampuff old man car, I am hanging on to the remainder of the fleet with more desparation. This is something I must get a handle on. I see my cars as irreplaceable and sometimes good traveling companions. Release! Release!
ColinNo
Did you sell the Lexus?
Yes, and I rue, I regret, it was the nicest example I know of. It has another 200,000 miles left in it.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Me thinks you need to turn your Benz into your next cream puff old mans car ... salt and snow be damned.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:12 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Me thinks you need to turn your Benz into your next cream puff old mans car ... salt and snow be damned.
I think you might be right . . . :cyclopsani:

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Me thinks you need to turn your Benz into your next cream puff old mans car ... salt and snow be damned.

I had a later model version of that ..... IIRC an '87? AWESOME roadtrip car. It would pull 22-24mpg highway....loved the growl of the dual overhead cam engine. I had intentionally bought it as a flip car ... got a killer deal on it, because it needed paint. Painted it, and bought leather die of the correct color code, and redyed it myself, car looked really good too...and it ran awesome. Toyed with the idea of keeping it, but had owned a '77 and remembered how EXPENSIVE the parts were for it. Just as an example, $150 for plug wires (20 years ago) and that was the cheapest I could find. Bought the '87 for 1400 and sold for 3200. the '77 I bought for 550 and sold for 2400 (I painted it too). So they've been good flip cars! :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:48 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:04 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
I had a later model version of that ..... IIRC an '87? AWESOME roadtrip car. It would pull 22-24mpg highway....loved the growl of the dual overhead cam engine. I had intentionally bought it as a flip car ... got a killer deal on it, because it needed paint. Painted it, and bought leather die of the correct color code, and redyed it myself, car looked really good too...and it ran awesome. Toyed with the idea of keeping it, but had owned a '77 and remembered how EXPENSIVE the parts were for it. Just as an example, $150 for plug wires (20 years ago) and that was the cheapest I could find. Bought the '87 for 1400 and sold for 3200. the '77 I bought for 550 and sold for 2400 (I painted it too). So they've been good flip cars! :)
This one here is a '78, just like the BobD. And, just like my '78 BMW 530i, this eats gas at a prodigious clip, 13-15mpg.
But it is the very most authoritative old grandpa out there. You can feel the engineering-before-polls-dictated-ruining-firm-steering, etc. The V-8 is cammy, comes on with a rush at about 3,500 +.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Your 78 sounds like it was similar to the 77 (or was it 76?) Benz I owned. the '87 was purchased 10 years later, so, difficult to compare performance of the two cars. IIRC, they had the same block...remember the twin cam growl being similar. I don't recall the performance being much different....but the 87 may have been a 4 spd auto vs 3 in the earlier? Could explain the difference in MPG.

Although, if you are only using occasionally, like you did the Lexus, the difference in MPG will be negligible on the pocket book....particularly at today's gas prices. I say doooitttt. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Second owner since 11,000 miles, now at 148,000. $7200 seems high, but? I dunno.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/6036644721.html
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:53 pm

7,200 does not seem out of line for what (looks like) a pretty rust free bus. I've seen folks ask $6k for non-running Westies. Granted, it may not be a Westy, and the engine most likely will need a rebuild, but a running/driving bus for $7k does not seem out of line.... in fact, it could very well be a bargain....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Bus prices have skyrocketed lately, WTF.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat