Hydraulic Valve Adjustment and Associated Noise - kinda long

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:49 am

Strop wrote: However, I do not like the fact that the vacuum gauge reads a fluctuating 12 -14 until the engine has warmed up (from a cold start at idle with no pressing of the accelerator pedal - completely warming up "on its own" so to speak) about 10 minutes or so. Shouldn't I get 15 lbs immediately whether or not it is cold or hot? I cant find any vacuum leaks.
I don't think I'd be too worried about that. The idle rpm may be slightly lower after a cold start, which would reduce the vacuum level. Also, it may be that there is more leakage past the rings until the oil gets good and thin and the thermal expansion of all the engine parts takes place.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Strop
I'm New!

Post by Strop » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:36 am

Well....

Adjusted 1 and 3 to 1/4 turn preload and now for the first time I have solid 130 lbs compression in all 4 cylinders and 15-17 in manifold vacuum at 900 rpm idle. Took a trip last weekend and cruised at 62 mph average and got about 144 miles out of 1/2 tank of gas. Power seemed good as well.

Now I have to figure out why it is running rich until it warms up.......... on the right track though...
=D>

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:01 am

=D> Indeed!!! Good news!

You may want to replace the Temp Sensor II and see if it changes things during warmup.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Strop
I'm New!

Post by Strop » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:28 am

vwlover77 wrote:=D> Indeed!!! Good news!

You may want to replace the Temp Sensor II and see if it changes things during warmup.
Ya know...I am thinking the same thing. However, I put a new one on when I had the engine rebuilt so it is only 2 years old. I am going to test it, then test the harness and ecu connections before replacing it though.

Did you ever get the cam situation rectified?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:02 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
reduce the vacuum level.
may be that there is more leakage past the rings until the oil gets good and thin and the thermal expansion of all the engine parts takes place.
Ah, nooOOO. Us armchair engineers. . . . . :flower:

Vacuum is created from the closed throttle plate on down to the cylinders. If the auxiliary air regulator is cracked open, you are getting air past the closed throttle, ergo! Lower vacuum. This is even true of a choke fast idle cracking open the throttle plate. And the dual carb buses with that central idling circuit will *never* see more than 10-12 in/hg at idle.
Colin anyways how 'bout them Indians?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:39 pm

GO Tribe! :cheers:
Don

78 Westy

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:57 pm

vwlover77 wrote:GO Tribe! :cheers:
It hasn't even been 60 years since you won the darn thing. Patience my young Jedi.