Papa's 79 Westfalia

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sneaks
I'm New!

Re: Papa's 79 Westfalia

Post by Sneaks » Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am

KosmicK1100 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 am
I believe his regular use of the bus is what preserved it. Had it been abandoned, it would not have survived.
Truer words have not been said!
'79 Transporter "Ducky"

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am
Welcome KosmicK1100!!! Looks like you have a beautiful, solid Westy there and are diving right in!

On a VW Bus Facebook page I frequent, a member just lost his fuel-injected Bus to fire. Please put the project of replacing all of the rubber fuel hoses in the engine compartment high on your list if this has not been done recently! The fuel pressure is around 35psi so things can accelerate quickly if a leak occurs. If you send your fuel injectors out to someplace like Cruzin Performance for cleaning and service, their short rubber hoses will be replaced also. https://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html
Thank you for this very sound advice! I will certainly replace the fuel lines, what is a good source for the proper type of fuel line (dimensionality and pressure wise) and what kind of clamps are used, if the OEM ones are not available?
The green carpet in the background is also NO LONGER AVAILABLE -- from IKEA.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 pm

KosmicK1100 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm
vwlover77 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am
Welcome KosmicK1100!!! Looks like you have a beautiful, solid Westy there and are diving right in!

On a VW Bus Facebook page I frequent, a member just lost his fuel-injected Bus to fire. Please put the project of replacing all of the rubber fuel hoses in the engine compartment high on your list if this has not been done recently! The fuel pressure is around 35psi so things can accelerate quickly if a leak occurs. If you send your fuel injectors out to someplace like Cruzin Performance for cleaning and service, their short rubber hoses will be replaced also. https://www.cruzinperformance.com/fuelinj.html
Thank you for this very sound advice! I will certainly replace the fuel lines, what is a good source for the proper type of fuel line (dimensionality and pressure wise) and what kind of clamps are used, if the OEM ones are not available?
The green carpet in the background is also NO LONGER AVAILABLE -- from IKEA.
Love your project and the work you have put in so far! For clamps, you will want something along these lines http://www.busdepot.com/311133515 that don't chew up the rubber on your hose. As far as hose goes, you want to make sure you are getting one that is reinforced and rated for fuel injection so it can withstand the higher pressures of your fuel injection system...like this https://www.jbugs.com/product/N202811.html. Don't forget all the small bits at each injector.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:57 am

Thank you Mr Blotto, for the excellent info on the fuel line!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 pm

KosmicK1100 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm
I've installed the headliner for the time being, since I don't have time to install the new vinyl. I have to remove the headliner again anyway to pull the rooftop carrier for restoration, and I'll apply the vinyl at that time.

Or you could apply a low-gloss (semi-flat) paint directly to the pre-sealed and primered wood, and not worry about the vinyl ...?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 pm
KosmicK1100 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm
I've installed the headliner for the time being, since I don't have time to install the new vinyl. I have to remove the headliner again anyway to pull the rooftop carrier for restoration, and I'll apply the vinyl at that time.
Or you could apply a low-gloss (semi-flat) paint directly to the pre-sealed and primered wood, and not worry about the vinyl ...?
Colin
Nice suggestion, but I've moved to a desert town with a population 400. If I paint here it will be solid by the time it hits the headliner. Papa's bus is 600 miles away at my brother's house, so I've got to find some fishing holes between him and me in order to get the bus to my home. I'll probably have some of this Headliner Vinyl by then.
In the meantime, retirement is on!

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Excellent picture :)

"Palomar Perforated White" headliner upholstery is looking like a MIGHTY fine stock replacement too, thanks for the link!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm

I'm still loving this forum.
Papa's Westfalia will live where that slab is, once the shop is built.
My dog died.

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:17 am

I share your grief.....had to put China Daisy down yesterday, she was 13 years, 2 weeks, 2 days old German Shepherd Dog, can't stop crying. Can't even think about projects now. Thank God I still have a 6 y/o male GSD that is coping better than I am.
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Thank you for your support Skip, I know how you feel. It is hard to put one foot in front of the other and carry on. I am sorry for the loss you are feeling and I wish you all the best.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 pm

skip wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:17 am
I share your grief.....had to put China Daisy down yesterday, she was 13 years, 2 weeks, 2 days old German Shepherd Dog, can't stop crying. Can't even think about projects now. Thank God I still have a 6 y/o male GSD that is coping better than I am.
My condolences, skip. The pain of love is as close to God as we get.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:38 pm

We adopted Addie from the municipal animal shelter and she is a sweetheart. She is one year old and apparently as big as she will ever get, 23 lbs. She will pack well.

skip
Getting Hooked!

Post by skip » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words.....too soon for me to adopt, maybe next year. Good for you Kosmic, Addie seems like a fine dog. One thing about smaller dogs is they tend to live longer and easier to lift onto the Vet's table.
Had a yellow lab about 14 years ago that walked out of the yard (I think I left the gate open) and I was a couple of blocks away on my 88 Goldwing and saw her and tried to put her 68 lbs self on my lap and ride the bike home...NOT happening. Parked, used my belt as a lease and walked her home. Had a neighbor that had a Boston Terrier that rode on his Harley with doggles (dog goggles) and a red bandanna.

I like the puppy sling.

I'm thankful I still have Cayman....
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

KosmicK1100
I'm New!

Post by KosmicK1100 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 pm

I am off to Munich to pick up my BMW motorcycle for a six week tour of France. I may be able to drive Papa's bus from my brothers home this December. My shop will not yet be constructed, but at least I can store it under our carport and do some dirty work on it. Fuel line replacement will be job one, the engine compartment is a mess, and the battery tray is rusted. There is plenty to keep me busy!

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Ha! I love seeing what look like VW parts in all that moto-camping gear... I did a multi-day cycle tour this past spring, and I even took a 10mm wrench, screwdriver, and gloves with me, just in case I came across any errant Volkswagens. :)
How does your bike onboard tool kit compare to your Volkswagen’s onboard tool kit?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.