Ignition/ Switch Starting Issues

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

CrackerJack
I'm New!

Ignition/ Switch Starting Issues

Post by CrackerJack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi Guys,
I sure could use some help. My '81 Vanagon won't start with the key. However, if I pull the ignition switch down from the ignition and turn it with a screwdriver, it'll start right up.
I think the problem is that the end of the ignition (new) is not penetrating the ignition switch (new) to turn the engine over.
(igntion switch is seated firmly) It is either that, or the ignition & key doesn't allow me to turn the ignition switch far enough to engage the starter.
Has anyone had this problem?
Very confused.
Thank you in advance for your help!

bus71
Addicted!

Re: Ignition/ Switch Starting Issues

Post by bus71 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:21 pm

A couple ideas. Measure the key portion of the switch to end. Measure the switch portion to the recess where the key fits. This should tell you if contact is being made. Question. Do the alt, oil light come on when everything is together.? If they do, but no crank, could be it isn't turning all the way. Binding when installed? Another thought would be that when you pull the switch down, you are tweaking the wires enough to restore a bad connection . Check that any connections are tight and clean. Good luck!

CrackerJack
I'm New!

Post by CrackerJack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Hi Bus71,
Thank you very much for your insight. I ended up taking the new ignition and new ignition switch and putting them into a new ignition housing. It fired right up. Still stumped as to what the deal was.
Cheers!

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Glad you got it fixed. Keep posting if you need help, lots of knowledge here with Colin(amskeptic)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 pm

bus71 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:41 pm
Glad you got it fixed. Keep posting if you need help, lots of knowledge here with Colin(amskeptic)

Sure . . . if he would ever show up.
uh, Calvin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles