Gary The Grün

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tommu
Old School!

Gary The Grün

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 pm

As I said over in my WTB thread, I bought a eche_bus's 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper.
My son has named him Gary. I shouldn't have let him watch Spongebob before showing him the Bus

Three days, 10 miles into ownership and no surprises. Jon was very open and honest about the condition of the Bus. Right now I'm trying to get a idea of it's mechanical wellbeing. So I carried out a compression test - warm engine and WOT:

130 1
135 2
112 3
140 4

If all cylinders should be within 75% of each other then anything over 105 is ok. Which is good. I haven't noticed anything of concern in the limited amount I've driven so far. Should I leave it there - or should I find out what's up with number 3?

- Steering is pretty loose,
- front shocks (or beam?) are squeaking
- shift bushes need attention.
- It's running a little rich. Stalling slightly on cold start. Has new TS2 in place. I have an LM1 on hand to begin tuning.

I'm planning vacuum smoke test next.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Gary The Grün

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:43 am

Check the center pin as those are usually shot........
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:26 am

tommu wrote:As I said over in my WTB thread, I bought a eche_bus's 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper.
My son has named him Gary. I shouldn't have let him watch Spongebob before showing him the Bus

Three days, 10 miles into ownership and no surprises. Jon was very open and honest about the condition of the Bus. Right now I'm trying to get a idea of it's mechanical wellbeing. So I carried out a compression test - warm engine and WOT:

130 1
135 2
112 3
140 4

If all cylinders should be within 75% of each other then anything over 105 is ok. Which is good. I haven't noticed anything of concern in the limited amount I've driven so far. Should I leave it there - or should I find out what's up with number 3?

- Steering is pretty loose,
- front shocks (or beam?) are squeaking
- shift bushes need attention.
- It's running a little rich. Stalling slightly on cold start. Has new TS2 in place. I have an LM1 on hand to begin tuning.

I'm planning vacuum smoke test next.
Congratulations! You will enjoy that bus.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: Gary The Grünt

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Colin will give me a rash for what I'm about to admit....but it will be deserved. For the squeaking in the front beam, give it a very liberal lube. There a several zerks on it.

I lubed mine when I first bought it ......ohhhh about 12 years ago. I noticed last year mine was squeaking when I went up and down the driveway. Started freaking out about all the worst case scenarios. Then I remembered it hadn't been lubed in quite a while. :pale: After a healthy lube job, the squeak went away.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Colin will give me a rash for what I'm about to admit....but it will be deserved. For the squeaking in the front beam, give it a very liberal lube. There a several zerks on it.

I lubed mine when I first bought it ......ohhhh about 12 years ago. I noticed last year mine was squeaking when I went up and down the driveway. Started freaking out about all the worst case scenarios. Then I remembered it hadn't been lubed in quite a while. :pale: After a healthy lube job, the squeak went away.
I thought you only needed to lube them when they squeeked?

tommu
Old School!

phenolic spacers

Post by tommu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Should the thick intake manifold gaskets have paper on each side? The old ones I just removed don't and the new replacements also do not. I assume that matters?

EDIT: At closer inspection there appears to be a graphite like layer on each side of the spacer. I shall use these.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 pm

I make sure the intake ports on the heads are CLEAN and I use a light and even coat of grease on the gaskets. Please don't use RTV, unless you want to suffer taking it off.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 pm

I've learnt that RTV lesson the hard way..

Intake manifold boots were so hard they simply fell off. The throttle body to plenum gasket was also hard and shrunken. Both places that were known vacuum leaks. As soon as the injector seals arrive I'll connect everything back up and smoke test.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Sounds great! I just finished that same reseal with BigEmma, and we found a few dozen bits of hardware and pebbles all around the intake runners and throttle body. Don't drop any in the intake! (We had the luxury of three humans around, with vacuums and wrenches and extra eyeballs.)

Check the AAR elbow, s-boot, and brake booster Y for cracks and vacuum leaks?

Robbie

Edit: don't pinch any tin under the intake runners. That's a great leak source if unchecked. With the runners off, you might as well take off the plenum and polish the electrical grounds, right? :pirate:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:26 am

Will do. I have a smoke tester ready to chase down everything else.
I had a shop vac with a duck taped reducer hose vacuuming the intakes as I removed them :-) Lots of dirt seemed to have collected down there.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:28 pm

I have now:

- Changed intake pipe boots, throttle body seal and all injector seals.
- Carried out a smoke test. I used a little air from my compressor to create positive pressure in the vacuum system and I saw no leaks.
- Checked and set valves and dwell
- Set timing to 7.5 BTC. It needs to be just there for SMOG.

It starts with a turn of the key. When cold it stutters and stalls as I hit the gas. When warm I can drive happily. No missing or hesitation. After a good 15 minute drive the dipstick was barely hot.

I think it's runnnig rich and perhaps, after fixing some pretty bad vacuum leaks, I need to fiddle with the AFM. A frightening prospect.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:37 pm

tommu wrote: I think it's runnnig rich and perhaps, after fixing some pretty bad vacuum leaks, I need to fiddle with the AFM. A frightening prospect.
Colin has an app for that...err. a posting here in the tech section...check it out, good info.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi Tom,

Have you gone through the ECU plug checks of the fuel injection manual? I found the tests on page 40 to be helpful for new members to make sure the connections are all working.

After going through this, we have some more advanced tests to undertake. :)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... Manual.pdf

Good luck, and let me know if you're thirsty for beer or bus wrenching some time,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 am

tommu wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote: I lubed mine when I first bought it ......ohhhh about 12 years ago. I noticed last year mine was squeaking when I went up and down the driveway. Started freaking out about all the worst case scenarios. Then I remembered it hadn't been lubed in quite a while. :pale: After a healthy lube job, the squeak went away.
I thought you only needed to lube them when they squeeked?
You people don't deserve to drive these fine automobiles . . .
Colin
(I lubricate the front beam every year, bigly)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 pm

asiab3 wrote:Hi Tom,

Have you gone through the ECU plug checks of the fuel injection manual? I found the tests on page 40 to be helpful for new members to make sure the connections are all working.

After going through this, we have some more advanced tests to undertake. :)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... Manual.pdf

Good luck, and let me know if you're thirsty for beer or bus wrenching some time,
Robbie
OK. I'm going to go ahead and verify the ECU plugs next and then hook up the LM1.

Robbie - I swear I've been infected with three different colds simultaneously. How does next weekend work for you - March 1st / 2nd? I should be less toxic by then and it would be great to catch up. Beer, food and wrenching all sound good.