Carb installation

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Carb installation

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 pm

I am about to install my dual carbs. I have 4 of the smaller aluminum crush gaskets and 4 of the larger paper gaskets in my kit. What's the order of installation? ie head. then paper gasket, then aluminum, then paper again, then manifold.

Note: I have some sort of Webers made in Brasil.

Also, is sealant of any kind a good idea?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:50 pm

I like to use just the fiber ones between the manifolds and heads. I coat them with bearing grease instead of goop. That way in the future when you remove them they come apart easily and 9 times out of 10 you can reuse the gaskets with a fresh coat of grease.

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Carb installation

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:21 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I am about to install my dual carbs. I have 4 of the smaller aluminum crush gaskets and 4 of the larger paper gaskets in my kit. What's the order of installation? ie head. then paper gasket, then aluminum, then paper again, then manifold.

Note: I have some sort of Webers made in Brasil.

Also, is sealant of any kind a good idea?
If your manifold surfaces are clean and smooth and appear to join the head precisely, the aluminum gaskets are your best temperature resistant seal between the head and the manifold. The paper gaskets are useful for problem issues. Permatex Aviation the brown goop is a helpful assist.
I can't answer your assembly sequence except to say that 4 aluminum gaskets comes out to one-per-port, as do the paper. I think you have a choice here, not a mandatory Use All.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles