Naranja Westy Refresh Wrap Up

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Naranja Westy Refresh Wrap Up

Post by asiab3 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Is the plastic paint a guinea pig for Chloe's white armrest air ducts? :D
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:43 pm

YAY for having pictures again to go with the story!!!!

The slider looks 100X better with that hinge sporting the correct color. It's crazy how some of the "little things" are such BIG THINGS.
1979 California Transporter

phaedrus76
Getting Hooked!

Post by phaedrus76 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:17 pm

It's really coming along! Looking good!
76 Sage Green Deluxe Westy w/ manual trans.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:01 am

Oh, and you shouldn't need an F# to play Clocks… :bootyshake: Can't you just disconnect that trigger wire or something? I stopped paying attention after nearly killing myself on a tone wheel organ capacitor in high school……

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 pm

asiab3 wrote:Oh, and you shouldn't need an F# to play Clocks… :bootyshake: Can't you just disconnect that trigger wire or something? I stopped paying attention after nearly killing myself on a tone wheel organ capacitor in high school……

Robbie
E flat. What's the keyboard notation for flats? Eb?
And NOOOO, you don't just "disconnect the trigger wire" if you want to live, you fix the damn problem or you will never never never never hear the end of it. It was a dog hair. :scratch:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:50 pm

hambone wrote:Just leave the door off you get better ventilation.
I've got a story for that.......

My first bay I bought for $50....engine was seized, interior was trashed....basically I bought it for what the junky would give for scrap (this was about 25 years ago...).

Really long story short, swapped engines after a long and arduous process. Very first road trip...inside my parents subdivision...take a hard left and hear boom.......boom..boom.boom.booom......booom! Yup. Sliding door had fallen off (track was totally rusted). calmly pulled over, picked it up, threw it in the back seat, and headed over to my buddies house. Now mind you...... it is Feb. in Michigan...can we say friggin' cold!!!

So I pulled up in front of my friends house, and say hey Dave! wanna go for a ride?! He gets in, puts on his belt. then looks behind him and sees the sliding door laying inside resting against the back seat. He's like umm, mike, your door is detached? I was "yeah! it fell off, and I was soo lucky that none of the windows broke! Isn't that cool!?

So I took Dave around the block in our balmy 21 degree weather with no heat no side door, and me signalling out my window (turn signals didn't work).

What was the point of this post? Oh yeah...you get better ventilation with the door off! :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:02 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:What was the point of this post? Oh yeah...you get better ventilation with the door off! :flower:
haaha good story...back when Busses were driven with wild abandon and no concern for restored market value....i like it
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 pm

So, I should wrap up the Wrap Up, because tomorrow is, I guess, the first travel day of the 2016 Itinerary.

I finished the sliding door refresh, side cover refresh and a couple of other details about the place, and the damn brakes failed.

I was coming down the hill to Marketplace Blvd, a red light, and the brake pedal sank down to a clunk. Applied the emergency brake and kept my foot in it. The front brakes were still there, but the pedal was a whole lot too low for my comfort. Due to the failing light and falling temperatures, I just parked the thing and pet the Lexus, "you have good brakes." I thought to myself, aaah I'll do the master cylinder tomorrow, I'm TIRED."

Tomorrow of course came, and it was a solid 20 degrees colder and 10 mph more windy. Therefore, I refused to take photographs with my NEWWWWWW CAMERAAAAAAAA! (welcome to the new camera, same as the old camera, it's a "Kodak Easy Share z612" $79.00 off Amazon)

The booster was full of just over a pint of leaked brake fluid, so it had to come off too, in the whipping wind, on the cold ground, stubborn clamps and petrified air hoses, accompanied by the taste of brake fluid. I had a new master cylinder (that I was going to put in Chloe seconds before I decided to rebuild it instead back in Valdosta GA, November 2012 ), and slapped it in after bringing over the reservoir and original German brake light switches. Couldn't much bleed it without dropping the belly pan, and I refused to drop the belly pan. I used a 22mm box wrench up on the locknut on the brake push rod and pried against the stabilizer bar to get a little "pedal" with which to bleed at the compression fittings on the master cylinder. A horrible pedal was the result. Know what I said? I said, "too damn bad, we're going to Florida."

Then I drove it. "No, we are not going to Florida just yet." But I did drive from the storage unit to my brother's house. He was out washing the dog at the dog wash.
"Pleeeeeeze, help me bleed the brakes??" I entreated my sister-in-law.
"I don't know which pedal or anything."
"You're in luck! I do!"
"That is way up to the seat, why don't you wai . . . "
"Here, it is easy. I say 'step' and you push on that thingie right there, just keep it down until I say 'release'!"
We did fine. The rear circuit was a root beer float in the bleed glass.

I am going to Florida in 11 hours. I shall get lost in the sunshine and mosey on over to the Weisswurst Wayward Wayfarer's Winterlude, then wend my way to Miami's Jivermo Compound.
Colin

Colin

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:47 am

looking sharp- enjoy the warmth
60 beetle
78 bus

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:52 am

Bring gloves...it was 46 here yesterday morning! I had to put on a T-shirt!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:22 am

I just left the hot in Suriname as it was 30C everyday and the damn Zika mosquitoes were out in force. Back in Netherlands freezing to death (10C) before coming back to Seattle.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:17 am

Bleyseng wrote:I just left the hot in Suriname as it was 86*F everyday and the damn Zika mosquitoes were out in force. Back in Netherlands freezing to death (50*F) before coming back to Seattle.
(you're welcome-edit)

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 am

It is about 25º F here today right and is expected to go to about -5º F tonight.

Them damn mosquitoes are not to be found anywhere near here.

Go nature!!!!
79 VW Bus

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Quit your crying you big babies. We hit a high of 9*F today. When I got up this morning it was something like -9*F. My son and I were outside sledding and playing in the backyard today and we even got hot enough to work-up a sweat. I will say I had to put on my Smart Wools and a flannel. Love winter!
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:I just left the hot in Suriname as it was 86*F everyday and the damn Zika mosquitoes were out in force. Back in Netherlands freezing to death (50*F) before coming back to Seattle.
(you're welcome-edit)
It's 32F (0C) now and snowing...sheesh I'm freezing but now to go on a parts hunt in theNederlands. :cheers:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/