Sharing the latest on my bus (videos and pics)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Sharing the latest on my bus (videos and pics)

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi folks,

As some of you know, Hambone's been working on my bus and has really gotten a lot done. It went from basically sitting for 21 years (revived for 5 minutes only, 10 years ago and that was it), to running after a basic tune-up but roughly and dying in idle (and being tested by me using the scary old rusted brakes and extremely old tires), to running better but not great, and not dying in idle (thanks to carb cleaning and adjusting etc), to - 2 weeks later - running with new tires and new brakes but dying in idle again and not being able to make it up a hill! However it did make it as far as a gas station which was pretty cool (further than it had gone this whole time, maybe two miles or more in total). But there was much improvement yesterday! :bounce:

Hambone and Gypsy (or maybe he spells it Gypsie?) did some diagnostic testing and predicting I needed a new or rebuilt carb, put in a new one that he had brought a long to see what kind of difference that made. Well not sure if new but let's just say new and improved.

To you guys this is all probably basic stuff but wow what a difference it made!! It sounded really healthy and was practically purring (in that VW way) and drove noticeably better! Also the new brakes were starting to wear in so the braking felt better too. So confidence was boosted which made the whole experience better. It was really fun to drive! :bounce: Here are a couple of short videos showing the boyz driving the bus. I also posted it on thesamba but I thought it would be nice to post here too for the Portland peeps who no longer hang out on the samba much and who know of my bus (and know Hambone!). I'm really loud in the first video, sorry!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPcpQ34IMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bjlgtwqFig

Also we opened up the pop top and while it's filthy, it also cleaned up super easily using some mechanics hand wipes I had near by! In the last couple of pics you'll be able to see a small area where I wiped it with the hand wipe. There aren't any rips in this material at all and the zippers work! There's a 1 centimeter size tear in the bug screen only - that's it! :sunny:
Attachments
Pic of bus and poptop small version.jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Re: Sharing the latest on my bus (videos and pics)

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:45 pm

You can see the spot where I used the wet wipe and all that grime came right off!
Attachments
Pop top dirt wiped, small pic.jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Another view of dirty pop top and you can see the spot I wiped with wet wipe there on the bottom (no elbow grease required)! I hope the mechanics wipes aren't too strong for the rubber-isn fabric though.
Attachments
Another view of dirty pop top small pic.jpg

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 pm

This part's not great. X brackets (?) bowing! The pop top's super easy to open up and super hard to close for one person because of that bowing...
Attachments
X brackets bowing!.jpg

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Now you be extra nice to your pop top til you get that bow business sorted out. Lube and some straightening of those cross members is in order. Other than that I think you have a very nice rig. It sounded good and had gusto. A little elbow grease and some adjusted expectations of perfection and this beauty will be camping this summer. :geek:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks Gypsie!

I drove it across town today! Jeff followed me. It was kinda nuts of me but I'm glad I did.

I don't remember... how do you think I can straighten out those X's?!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 am

Looking very nice marya70, you've got the best clowns on the job.
Beautiful weekend around town, I took advantage of it and worked on my daughters bus.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 pm

Mike Boell wrote:Beautiful weekend around town, I took advantage of it and worked on my daughters bus.
Mary and I snuck out Friday to go camping. :cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:56 pm

tristessa wrote:
Mike Boell wrote:Beautiful weekend around town, I took advantage of it and worked on my daughters bus.
Mary and I snuck out Friday to go camping. :cyclopsani:
Where did you sneak too?
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Mike Boell said:
"Looking very nice marya70, you've got the best clowns on the job.
Beautiful weekend around town, I took advantage of it and worked on my daughters bus."

Thanks Mike! Noooo not clowns. Sweet, hard-working guys who've obviously learned a lot about early bays! :salute:

Yes gorgeous weekend, today in particular. Lucky daughter!

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Yeah where did you go Tristessa? How do you keep warm in there by the way? I like to hear the different ways people keep warm in their buses.

Thanks again for the door handle! Oh and you were right (duh) - I don't know why I thought the handle was different but it's the right one. Strange that I thought that...

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 pm

We want to Oxbow along the Sandy River, good place for a "dry run" with the new top & etc. It's pretty well insulated, beyond that it's sleeping bags & snuggle up .. until the aux heater gets here & installed.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:02 am

Nice. I don't remember if I've ever camped there oddly enough - or if I did, I was probably 8 years old or younger. Sounds like a fancy heater setup you'll have!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:23 am

Marya70Riviera wrote:How do you keep warm in there by the way? I like to hear the different ways people keep warm in their buses.
I installed a Propex furnace I found on Craigslist, new in the box.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Me, sleeping bag and a wool sweater. No moving parts.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat