The Devil is in the details...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

The Devil is in the details...

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 am

It's always time to check those fuel lines, folks.

This just happened to one of our community yesterday. She had just gassed up, and a cop ran up and told her the back was on fire! Gypsy Wagon is no more, and it was her only transportation, unfortunately. Rough deal.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re: The Devil is in the details...

Post by Boxcar » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Stern lesson.

Sorry for that loss.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Noooooooooooo

I love those quirky RV'backed baywindow campers. This one doesn't look like any that ive seen previously, what a waste.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 am

airkooledchris wrote:Noooooooooooo

I love those quirky RV'backed baywindow campers. This one doesn't look like any that ive seen previously, what a waste.
Dammitall, I hate seeing these moments of profound loss from stupid stupidity.
I hope that wasn't a Jergens Autovilla. Why can't people put out fires!!
Colin(whoseChloeHadAnEngineFireInThePast)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

volks71folk
I'm New!

Post by volks71folk » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 am

Anybody have a link for the correct brand of fuel line everybody has been using?
1600 Dp

I have been using the braided lines but I guess those are failing from what I have read.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm

volks71folk wrote:Anybody have a link for the correct brand of fuel line everybody has been using?
1600 Dp

I have been using the braided lines but I guess those are failing from what I have read.
I have experienced three styles of braided 5mm lines. German made dark grey with red lettering, and black with white lettering and a VW/Audi logo. Those two have been perfect on my stock setup with no clamps. I cut one open at one year of use and it looked brand new. I cut one open after two years of use, and it looked fine on the inside. I still replace them every year or two. Cheap insurance, I guess.

There is a black-ish plain line that I have seen but have no experience with.

Hose failure has many reasons. Fuel injection hose is NOT the same as carb hose, and some vendors don't know that. Braided lines suffer from splitting when unnecessary screw clamps are over tightened. Another failure point is the carburetor inlet nipple breaking off from vibration, chafing, or pulling on by a fuel filter.

Sorry I don't have a direct link for you, I just pick some up whenever I see the black/white VW stuff locally.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 am

I like 1/4" rubber lines available at Autozone etc. Lasts a lot longer than the external cloth stuff, I've seen it fail countless times and weep gasoline everywhere. The solid rubber lines don't seem to do that. And clamps clamps and more clamps.
Also check brass into potmetal fittings they come loose.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:08 pm

I agree. The BMW stuff works well too. Straight rubber made for today's ethanol laden fuels.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:06 pm

hambone wrote:And clamps clamps and more clamps.
Also check brass into potmetal fittings they come loose.
I don't do clamps on my carbureted bus, save for the tank outlet. A healthy properly metric sized (this is important as hell) hose works fine. American hoses either get damaged going on because they are too small, or they get damaged by clamping the bageezus out of them to get them not to leak when they are too big. German 5mm hose slips on and sticks fine. Clampless.

The very act of going naked makes you Conscious and alert and careful. I replace my good hoses every three years. Takes 20 minutes.

Clamps make the hose STICK. Then you can't get it OFF. Then you yank and twist and ruin the hose but you don't know it. Then you have a fire. Seen it over and over, especially at the carb inlet nipple. You know why the carb inlet nipples fall out? Because someone clamped and clamped. Then they couldn't get the hose off. So they yanked and they twisted and destroyed the integrity of the hose AND they loosened the brass in the carburetor pot metal. Then the fire. Seen it over and over, especially at the plastic inline fuel filter. You know why? Because ScairdyKat overtightens the fuel hose clamp. This squishes the plastic *taper* on the fuel filter nipple. Then it goes loose when the plastic HELLO conforms to the squishedness. Then the heavy clamp adds a little momentum to the loosening process on every bump. Then the fire. Seen it a thousand times.
Our "cures" seem to destroy more fine engineering . . . . . . .

So fuel injection 7mm reinforced hose should yes be clamped modestly and applied with a little carb spray lubricant and it works FINE, doesn't matter what style hose clamp IF you are not a savage. A monkey. A gorilla. A chimp. A Neanderthal.
Colinpithicus
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles