muffler question

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

surfdad
I'm New!

muffler question

Post by surfdad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Well, I tend to pop in once a year looking for advice or answers. TaDa here I am again. After having a new Bus Depot engine installed I had my 78 heat exchangers reinstalled. They are tightened up with new insulated ducting to the front. I actually have heat. However, I have been slowly acquiring the parts and pieces for the 72-74 Heater box conversion. I am assuming Ill get some hotter heat and little better system in general. I have no emission requirements to worry about. so here is my question. Which muffler should I get. 071-251-053E or 071-251-053F. One has the tail pipe which connects to the end and the other has a longer tail pipe which attaches to the muffler midsection. The latter usually has EGR ports but some do not. is there a difference ?

Thanks
Neal
Neal
Tikibus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: muffler question

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:17 pm

surfdad wrote:Well, I tend to pop in once a year looking for advice or answers. TaDa here I am again. After having a new Bus Depot engine installed I had my 78 heat exchangers reinstalled. They are tightened up with new insulated ducting to the front. I actually have heat. However, I have been slowly acquiring the parts and pieces for the 72-74 Heater box conversion. I am assuming Ill get some hotter heat and little better system in general. I have no emission requirements to worry about. so here is my question. Which muffler should I get. 071-251-053E or 071-251-053F. One has the tail pipe which connects to the end and the other has a longer tail pipe which attaches to the muffler midsection. The latter usually has EGR ports but some do not. is there a difference ?

Thanks
Neal
The right exit muffler is the only available muffler. You will not get hotter heat. If you get the typical replacement Dansk 72/74 exchangers, they have half the number of fins as the originals. That said, the heat is pretty acceptable when all is set up correctly.
Colinm
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

surfdad
I'm New!

Post by surfdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:44 pm

I found some original VW heat exchanger online and am awaiting delivery. They may need a little cleaning but look like they are pretty good shape.

There are few NOS German mufflers available from some folks out there in the VW world. The tail pipe that attaches to the end looks cleaner for sure.

Thanks for the reply. Ill keep you updated.

Neal
Neal
Tikibus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:28 pm

surfdad wrote:I found some original VW heat exchanger online and am awaiting delivery. They may need a little cleaning but look like they are pretty good shape.

There are few NOS German mufflers available from some folks out there in the VW world. The tail pipe that attaches to the end looks cleaner for sure.

Thanks for the reply. Ill keep you updated.

Neal
Are you saying that you found a NOS Type 4 muffler with damper? And NOS heat exchangers?
Colin :bounce:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

surfdad
I'm New!

Post by surfdad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:29 pm

actually yes I found NOS HEs but those are not the ones I obtained. They were asking way more than I could fathom and they were overseas. But I did get some used ones. Muffler is New German (not Danish) ...
Neal
Tikibus