Windshield Washer Hose - Turn Signal Return to Neutral Fix

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Windshield Washer Hose - Turn Signal Return to Neutral Fix

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 am

Because the old, cracked, stiff, original windshield washer hose leaked washer fluid under the dash of my 1975 Bus, I am replacing it with new 1/4 inch high-pressure fuel hose that I picked up at the local hardware store.

See, here is the old hose inside the steering column and if you look close, you can make out the Audi/VW logos.

This little white plastic piece fell to the floorboards from inside the column and I'm hoping that someone can tell me what this guy does and where he lives. Any thoughts? I hate having left over parts. :-)

And here's the new lines fit to the pneumatic switch. I used a cup of boiling water to soften the tip of the new hose to get them to slide onto the nipples.

Any thoughts on that odd plastic piece would be greatly appreciated.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Re: Windshield Washer Hose Replacement - weird plastic piece

Post by vistacruzer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 pm

looks like the inside of a switch?
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:33 am

vistacruzer wrote:looks like the inside of a switch?
Yes, I figured out that that little white slider plastic piece with a hook on one end goes to the turn signal switches. Here is where it lives, back in place, in the lower right side of the turn signal assembly.

If you look closely, you'll note that the upper slider plastic piece has a busted hook. Note certain what the heck these guys were for, I dug out the turn signal assembly from old my parts bus.

Those hooks belong to that wavy wire which I was apparently missing. So I swapped the broken slider with the non-broken piece and installed the wavy wire, and now the turn signal shuts off after making a turn, just like a civilized car.

I went to replace the windshield wiper hoses and earned a bonus repair! Alright!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:47 pm

BellePlaine wrote: I went to replace the windshield wiper hoses and earned a bonus repair! Alright!
The copper brush for the horn is looking hurt. I use dielectric grease to reduce wear.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles