E85 Optional! (non-stock)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

luftvagon
Old School!

E85 Optional! (non-stock)

Post by luftvagon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Well fellas, I am switching to the dark side of ignition timing, and soon I will be running 36-1 wheel crank sensor, and distributor-less ignition. Did I mention I hate moving parts? That got me thinking... since I will now have full control of the timing, why not install a "FlexFuel" sensor for some shenanigans... and even if I am not running the E85 fuel I will be able to tell how much ethanol I have in my fuel, i could tell if gas stations are being honest when they sell "ETHANOL FREE" fuel.

The FlexFuel sensors will report fuel temperature, percentage of ethanol content, and methanol contamination.
The question is, are the fuel injectors, gas tank, overfill tubes, and etc up to the task?

Makes me wonder, what kind of difference CHT and EGT will be with this FlexFuel? The sensor is only $70... what am I waiting for?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

drober23
Addicted!

Re: E85 Optional! (non-stock)

Post by drober23 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:46 am

Sounds like fun! Now you need a data logger of some sort that you can wire all these signals into. :-)
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:24 pm

It's already wired up for data logs. =)
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:28 pm

The only bit of fear I have is how would the FPR, Fuel Tank, Metal Fuel lines, Injectors, and other rubber grommets react to ethanol, and long term submersion in ethanol. The best test would be to submerge some of my extra parts, and see how they do.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:59 pm

luftvagon wrote:The only bit of fear I have is how would the FPR, Fuel Tank, Metal Fuel lines, Injectors, and other rubber grommets react to ethanol, and long term submersion in ethanol. The best test would be to submerge some of my extra parts, and see how they do.
Heat them up to about 250*, too!
Heat soak, doncha know.
ColinHTH
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles