New to purchasing, tips?

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

joemakerman
I'm New!

New to purchasing, tips?

Post by joemakerman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Hey guys, just want to start off saying hello as I'm new around here. Name's Joe, 20 years old from Maryland, USA.

So for as long as I can remember, I've always been fascinated with the buses, especially the Westfalia campers. I've waited and waited patiently until my day finally comes that I become lucky enough to own one for myself. Well, now's not a terrible time haha. I came across this fella:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 64124.html

What do you all think? I've never bought a vehicle before, the Chevy Blazer I've been driving for the past four years was passed down to me. I'm far from a car mechanic and I'm hoping not to have to do too much work to have it running comfortably enough until I can raise more funds to make real improvements on it. From what the guy says, it seems like it might just need the gas tank cleaned out and a little extra TLC and I'd be good to go. Like I said I've never bought a vehicle before, so I'm trying to get all the tips and help and $.02's I can. Anything helps, thanks a ton!

-Joe

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New to purchasing, tips?

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:32 am

joemakerman wrote:Hey guys, just want to start off saying hello as I'm new around here. Name's Joe, 20 years old from Maryland, USA.

So for as long as I can remember, I've always been fascinated with the buses, especially the Westfalia campers. I've waited and waited patiently until my day finally comes that I become lucky enough to own one for myself. Well, now's not a terrible time haha. I came across this fella:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ ... 64124.html

What do you all think? I've never bought a vehicle before, the Chevy Blazer I've been driving for the past four years was passed down to me. I'm far from a car mechanic and I'm hoping not to have to do too much work to have it running comfortably enough until I can raise more funds to make real improvements on it. From what the guy says, it seems like it might just need the gas tank cleaned out and a little extra TLC and I'd be good to go. Like I said I've never bought a vehicle before, so I'm trying to get all the tips and help and $.02's I can. Anything helps, thanks a ton!

-Joe
Hello Joe, welcome to the forum. There is a long learning curve with these cars. The photographs are pretty thin. Why two pictures at the same angle? Engines came with superior fuel injection. Carburetors are installed when people gave up trying to fix the fuel injection. These cars will appreciate in value if you do good solid work on them.
Pay a visit and take pictures of the engine and chassis and front floor under the mat and rocker sills and we can give you more insights. I might be sporatically available to chime in, but I hope others here will follow your thread here.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:38 am

For a $1,000 it's probably worth looking at. If it's too far away, ask the seller to send more pictures!

I see some rust under the windshield seal. But nothing else that stands out from the few pics.

Check to see if the fuel injection that was on it is still available and complete. You'll want that. Ask
for some receipts on the rebuilt engine.

Otherwise welcome!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm

If you can keep your blazer as your DD while you fix up the bus, that would be ideal. Also nice to have a winter beater to keep it out of salt. What everybody else said .... get some more pics of:

- under floor mat on driver and pass side
- dog legs (part under doors)
- underneath
- front axle area
- engine compartment
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

joemakerman
I'm New!

Post by joemakerman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok very helpful. I'll keep you all updated, thanks a ton guys!