Just a fuel hose reminder

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Just a fuel hose reminder

Post by tractoman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

I know this is fuel related but thought I'd post here for all to be reminded. I recently smelled fuel near the rear of the bus. Finally got to looking into it. Haven't driven it since noticing the fuel smell by the way. Checked the vent pipe tube on the drivers side and it was a little loose. Tightened the clamps. Went underneath the bus and found a little drip at the fuel tank return line connection. Tightened the clamps. Checked everything else out and reinstalled the S boot and air filter housing with AFM and since I still had the hatch off, thought I'd run the engine while looking from the top to make sure everything was dry. Started her up and to my surprise, fuel is shooting out about 12 inches from a bend in the fuel hose between the fuel pump and fuel rail just engine side of the tin. All of these lines were replaced about 3 years ago with new, proper style clamps and I had not touched the hose where the geyser was located. This would have been a sure engine fire had I not been checking things out. Just a reminder to check your fuel lines :pale:. Ordered my new stuff today.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Just a fuel hose reminder

Post by dtrumbo » Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 am

For posterity (and safety and all the other -ty's) where did you get the fuel hose you installed three years ago? Was it 7mm reinforced fuel injection hose?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 01, 2013 8:58 pm

tractoman wrote:I know this is fuel related but thought I'd post here for all to be reminded. I recently smelled fuel near the rear of the bus. Finally got to looking into it. Haven't driven it since noticing the fuel smell by the way. Checked the vent pipe tube on the drivers side and it was a little loose. Tightened the clamps. Went underneath the bus and found a little drip at the fuel tank return line connection. Tightened the clamps. Checked everything else out and reinstalled the S boot and air filter housing with AFM and since I still had the hatch off, thought I'd run the engine while looking from the top to make sure everything was dry. Started her up and to my surprise, fuel is shooting out about 12 inches from a bend in the fuel hose between the fuel pump and fuel rail just engine side of the tin. All of these lines were replaced about 3 years ago with new, proper style clamps and I had not touched the hose where the geyser was located. This would have been a sure engine fire had I not been checking things out. Just a reminder to check your fuel lines :pale:. Ordered my new stuff today.
As dtrumbo mentioned, can you give us a heads-up on what brand of hose? I had a hose that was less than a year old blow right out on my Squareback. Turns out the PO was sold wholly incorrect non-reinforced hose from a well-known air-cooled VW vendor whose order taker had his head up his . . . anyhow.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 pm

The failed hose I used was advertised as high pressure fuel hose. It was manufactured by Cohline and is 7.5mm id. and 13.5mm od.. This time I am using Contitech N-020-281-1-M21 7x13mm. It has much more reinforcement cord in the rubber than the Cohline. Both were purchased form Pelican Parts. They don't have the Cohline listed anymore. Wonder why. I chose the hose and I don't blame the vendor in this case but I am glad this happened in my driveway. It would not have been pretty had I been driving when this hose let go.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

I hear that! I just replaced all my hoses with 7mm high pressure reinforced hoses that I bought from No Name garage in Eugene, Or (good folks). I think most of my threaded hoses were leaking, I will pay more attention from now on. kris
'slow n' steady'