My new bus - 1979 California Transporter (lots of pics)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: My new bus - 1979 California Transporter (lots of pics)

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 am

And now im on the road legally! WooHoo!

I got a little cocky and went straight to a Star certified Smog station and asked for the test, without doing a pre-test first.

And this is my cobbled together exhaust system. It's a Federal 79 heater box setup with the 72-74 style Empi extractor exhaust - with a CAT welded into the middle of it (and the O2 sensor connected to the pre-CAT port.)

Now I can put some miles on it (legally) and really start fine tuning the steering, suspension and the AFM (a different one, ill keep this SMOG tested one on the shelf for the future.)
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:47 am

airkooledchris wrote: And now im on the road legally! WooHoo!

I got a little cocky and went straight to a Star certified Smog station and asked for the test, without doing a pre-test first.

Now I can put some miles on it (legally) and really start fine tuning the steering, suspension and the AFM (a different one, ill keep this SMOG tested one on the shelf for the future.)
That is looking good there in the sunshine . . .
You like your tires, I can see that.
Congratulations on the smog test, .06% CO is pretty lean there . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:46 am

This is that first set of those Les Shwab tires I ever bought, for the Vanagon just before my daughter was born. They don't have a ton of life left on them, but were light years ahead of the worn out squishy GoodYear's that came with it.

I plan on placing the original AFM from my blue bus into this one, but not until after I have a chance to see what sort of head temps im running with this setup (and ideally, mpg). I may theoretically be able to just leave the smogable one on it and simply disconnect the O2 sensor, but ill do it a step at a time.

Right now I have two AFM's I don't want to futz with at all. The NOS one Colin and I tuned for ideal head temps on the blue bus, which is just perfect. I can load that sucker up to the gills and the temps are still happy at highway speeds - and now the one used to smog this green bus, which I may need to smog again someday if I end up selling it (that's the plan, once the bodywork is done on the blue bus and im ready to paint $$$$)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:54 pm

well, today I may have received an offer I can't refuse for this one.

local guy wants it and has offered me $4K for it. I think that's a fair price for this one, and that money will go straight into my primary bus to fix all (or most) of it's nagging rust issues.

I am *this* close to pulling the drivetrain from my blue 79 to go over everything during the winter. Id like to re-do the entire engine compartment as well, but if I sell the green one right now that'll leave me without a daily driver for a bit. That's OK, I work from home and the wife has a good car already.

It's so hard letting these things go, but since that was always the plan - it's probably a sign that I should do it now rather than later...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:48 pm

airkooledchris wrote:well, today I may have received an offer I can't refuse for this one.

local guy wants it and has offered me $4K for it. I think that's a fair price for this one, and that money will go straight into my primary bus to fix all (or most) of it's nagging rust issues.

I am *this* close to pulling the drivetrain from my blue 79 to go over everything during the winter. Id like to re-do the entire engine compartment as well, but if I sell the green one right now that'll leave me without a daily driver for a bit. That's OK, I work from home and the wife has a good car already.

It's so hard letting these things go, but since that was always the plan - it's probably a sign that I should do it now rather than later...
My problem is knowing that these cars are going to appreciate, especially after the Brazilian shut-down.
You may be feeling more fluid about churning them, playing real estate up-grade with them, but if it is a nice bus, add $$ to the sale price.
ColinCNBCMakeMoneyWithVWsHour

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:49 pm

It wasn't an easy decision to make, but I don't bring in the kind of salary needed to treat the both of the busses the right way.
Limping them both along while just barely keeping up with the maintenance they need to stay on the road was fun for a while, but im OK with the decision I made. The new owner is thrilled with it already, not afraid of working on his vehicles and will actually use it quite a bit. (which makes me happy to know.)

I already miss the thing. The motor was tired but free of leaks and well dressed, the transmission had some scary looking metal fragments in it before the last flush (that's the one we pulled out of the blue bus last summer), and there was metal work needed at damn near every corner and top to bottom. It was a driver with a good 10 to 15 years of very solid life left in it, before it likely turns to swiss cheese. My primary hope for it now that is isn't in my hands, is that it's taken far and wide around the country until it decides it's had enough. But if there's an ounce of hope left, I hope the guy keeps fixing it and keeping it down the road.

It may have been worth more money if I was the selling type and wanted to hold out for the right guy with the right depth of pocket, but I dug the soul of the kid who wanted it so badly and that more than makes up for it.

Ive only sold two busses in my life, and ive been excited about the new owners in both cases.

Now I have to decide what to tackle first on my 'to do' list before this cash burns a hole in my pocket. =)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:02 pm

airkooledchris wrote: Now I have to decide what to tackle first on my 'to do' list before this cash burns a hole in my pocket. =)
"A" of course . . .
a) call new owner and mention this website and that itinerant guy who wants to help all make these cars last forever (tell him I actually pay to come out and work on it all day THAT'S WHAT I DID WITH YOU).

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 pm

I did already transfer on to him the value of places like TS, IAC and the IAC visit, as well as the importance of the Bentley, Idiots guide, Ratwell, etc.

The kid is a bit of a wandering gypsy type, so I have no idea if he'd even be in this area by IAC visit-time this year. Rest assured he's been well informed on how best to keep his new source of travel/home on the road.

BTW, my first orders placed were for green metal bits from Klassicfab. (windshield lip and battery tray of course, like damn near every bus needs)