on the road - performance report thus far

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

on the road - performance report thus far

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 am

I left Eureka yesterday around noon and ended in San Mateo at 7PM.

I started the day running my spare AFM/EEC to see how well my repaired EEC valve would hold up and track my CHT Temps and MPG with that AFM. I drove for about an hour and my temps seemed to just keep rising. When going uphill it was hitting 430*, which as a peak isn't probably all that bad but I know it can be better, so I pulled over and swapped in my primary unit instead.

Upon inspection the repaired EEC valve made noise when I applied vacuum, but it wasn't holding perfectly so there's a small perforation in it somewhere that will need to be again addressed.

Once I swapped in the primary AFM/EEC then it was as smooth as you could ever ask for. Colin and I tweaked this AFM 6 ways from Sunday and it performed flawlessly. I never have to downshift going up hills anymore and with this setup I never saw temps above 418*. The bus would run at 70+ MPH for as long as I wanted to go, no questions asked.

The stop and go traffic jam that last 40 minutes sucked, but the clutch seemed up to the task as long as my calf muscle was.

So far I got 18.8 MPG, which for my setup is REALLY good.

You know that fuel line that hides behind/under the spare tire well? When I filled up 100% once this thing started leaking. I have hose clamps on it and it's only a few years old, but ill need to look at that ASAP to get it a bit tighter or better connected (or just avoid filling it THAT much).

The only other concern is the small pool if oil under the bus from after I stopped last night. There's about a 3 inch puddle at the connection to the transmission, so im guessing my main seal is shot yet again. There's a smaller one closer to the oil filter that I think seeps from the oil cooler itself, but this one has always been there.

It was a sunny beautiful day yesterday and I can't think of a better way to spend it than listening to that magical sound of a perfectly tuned T4 engine pushing me through the redwood curtain. I'll never get used to living somewhere so full of beauty.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: on the road - performance report thus far

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 pm

airkooledchris wrote: I'll never get used to living somewhere so full of beauty.
. . . and to think it is just sitting there in your garage. :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles