'78 Westy idles great, stalls and backfires under load.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: '78 Westy idles great, stalls and backfires under load.

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 am

Jivermo wrote:I don't see any catalytic converter here at all. What is inside the heater boxes? In a system like this, where would there likely be a blockage-if there is indeed one? Exhaust system work is at the far bottom of what I like to do on my bus...

https://picasaweb.google.com/1013662011 ... uary152013

You couldn't have uploaded a smaller picture to look at? heh

No CAT on that setup at the moment, you're right. I doubt anything is blocked and why are you taking it to an oldschool VW mechanic? You already know this bus better than that guy, who is most likely (as they all are) to be more familiar with a carb'd T1 engine than a FI Type4.

If you had an obstruction in the exhaust you'd feel it before driving for 20 minutes straight. There's likely nothing wrong with your current exhaust system, but take better pictures or carefully inspect yourself the EGR connection. Is the crossover pipe still connected to the EGR valve? is the EGR pipe connected to the actual exhaust system, or has that port been welded closed? (if so, has the connection on the intake plenum where the EGR valve connects also closed off so it isn't sucking in unmetered air?)

You need to start finding out what you can and cannot replicate to. Is it always something that happens after extended warmup periods? or can it happen (still, now that have been driving it more) as soon as you start it up and try to take it for a spin?

Some random things that have bitten me in the past, and worth spending a minute checking - how is the EEC valve on the airbox? If it's bad you should plug it for now until you fix it. Easy to test - just put a hose on it and suck to see if it holds vacuum. more here on that.

Take a look at the AFM itself. Blow out any crud inside it. How does the track look that the wiper runs on? is it wearing through in places?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:53 am

Jivermo wrote:The good running lasted about 25 miles or so, and then the problem presented itself again. At about 3800RPM, under load, it starts to backfire and stall. I took it over to an oldtime VW mechanic who is still cranking here in Miami, and he drove it around a bit. He suggested that the exhaust system is obstructed-the catalytic converter. Since we have no emission inspection here, I want to replace the system, which has some leaks anyhow. Any recommendations as to the direction to take here?
Exhaust system obstructions make their presence known before you leave the driveway.

Fuel tank obstructions, however, can wait until the junk gets sucked into the outlet. Then, when you wait, it disperses enough to let you start up again.

You need to go right back to where we left off, a gauge reader and a driver.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Got it, Colin, and thanks. We're hooking up the 18' line again with the pressure gauge, and running around again-also checking the new fuel filter. Is it possible for the Bosch fuel pump to fail gradually? Any word on the 2013 itinerary yet? If you get down here to Miami and it's still cool and mosquito free, I can promise you a canoe tour of the Everglades...if you are so inclined. See: Turner River-the real Everglades: http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/ ... 78006F0167

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Jivermo wrote:Got it, Colin, and thanks. We're hooking up the 18' line again with the pressure gauge, and running around again-also checking the new fuel filter. Is it possible for the Bosch fuel pump to fail gradually? Any word on the 2013 itinerary yet? If you get down here to Miami and it's still cool and mosquito free, I can promise you a canoe tour of the Everglades...if you are so inclined. See: Turner River-the real Everglades: http://www.seakayak.ws/kayak/kayak.nsf/ ... 78006F0167
We're looking very early June if not late May. :sunny:

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:20 am

Today is a good day. I finally have solved this furshlugginer problem! After a lot of time and energy with no resolution, I was reading the forum today, and saw where Colin made reference to the double relay ground. I went out and began to pull the relay off the firewall. It was a bit loose, and the ground wire popped out from behind it as soon as I moved it. I took it off, checked all the connections, cleaned the ground contact surfaces, and remounted it tightly back on. Then I took the bus out on the road. No more missing or backfires! It runs like a VW bus should run. Now, here's the good part. In trying to figure out what the heck the problem was, I have learned a great deal about how the bus operates. I've been through the entire fuel system, and know it pretty well. I've been through the vacuum hose system, and have repaired the cracked diaphragm in the air cleaner. I've got the thing tuned, timed, adjusted, refined, inspected and investigated to the nth degree. It has not been fun all of the time, but when I hit the road today I was driving the best vehicle in South Florida, and I knew it. Thanks to this relentless forum for all the clues...it made the difference in getting through this deal. Great stuff!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Jivermo wrote:Today is a good day. I finally have solved this furshlugginer problem! After a lot of time and energy with no resolution, I was reading the forum today, and saw where Colin made reference to the double relay ground. I went out and began to pull the relay off the firewall. It was a bit loose, and the ground wire popped out from behind it as soon as I moved it. I took it off, checked all the connections, cleaned the ground contact surfaces, and remounted it tightly back on. Then I took the bus out on the road. No more missing or backfires! It runs like a VW bus should run. Now, here's the good part. In trying to figure out what the heck the problem was, I have learned a great deal about how the bus operates. I've been through the entire fuel system, and know it pretty well. I've been through the vacuum hose system, and have repaired the cracked diaphragm in the air cleaner. I've got the thing tuned, timed, adjusted, refined, inspected and investigated to the nth degree. It has not been fun all of the time, but when I hit the road today I was driving the best vehicle in South Florida, and I knew it. Thanks to this relentless forum for all the clues...it made the difference in getting through this deal. Great stuff!
Congratulations!
Colin