More advice needed - won't start

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

More advice needed - won't start

Post by DoubleNickle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 am

Alright. Just replaced seals on fuel injectors, did an intake manifold gasket, installed new dust seal, replaced the distributor, static timed it and now she won't start. I have 33# of fuel pressure at the rail and it'll run for a few secounds if I squirt some gas into the s boot but then dies. What did I do? Where would you start looking? Any input is appreciated.

1975 Riviera
1.8 FI

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: More advice needed - won't start

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 am

see if the fuel pump runs with key in the run position and moving the afm sweep with your finger.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 am

After you check what vdubyah73 suggested, look around for some (probably large) vacuum hose that got accidentally disconnected when you were doing the other work. I can't count how many times I've bumped or otherwise dislodged a hose completely unrelated to what I was working on and then having to go back and figure out what I had done. It's so frustrating when the thing runs worse than when you started! ](*,)
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Equally embarassing is forgetting to reconnect the AFM to the wiring harness after taking it out. Done that a couple of times...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:14 am

DoubleNickle wrote:Alright. Just replaced seals on fuel injectors, did an intake manifold gasket, installed new dust seal, replaced the distributor, static timed it and now she won't start. I have 33# of fuel pressure at the rail and it'll run for a few secounds if I squirt some gas into the s boot but then dies. What did I do? Where would you start looking? Any input is appreciated.

Update?

White wire from ECU harness properly attached to the (-) #1 terminal on the coil??
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

Post by DoubleNickle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 am

Hope to get back after the van tomorrow. Been focused on my Daughters broken '98 Golf. Turned out to be a dead ECU. What an adventure for a plant guy....
1975 Riviera
1.8 FI

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

Post by DoubleNickle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Well.... the frustration level has increased yet again. I think this car doesn't respect me. I think it knows somehow that I am not a mechanic. Yes, the fuel pump starts if I move the flap. Yes, the white wire is properly hooked to the negative terminal on the coil. It starts if I squirt gas into the s boot but does not continue to run. My pressure guage shows 34ish psi at the fuel rail. So my only assumption is fuel injection system is not functioning. Great. I think I need an expert.

55 going on 87 today
1975 Riviera
1.8 FI

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Giant vacuum leak. Check the two hoses going into the "S" boot -- don't just *look* at them, make sure (absolutely *SURE*) they're connected and sealed .. on both ends. Also check the "Y" connection coming from the left side of the plenum (branches to the decel valve and the brake booster line) andd that Stupid Little Hose For The AAR on the right side of the motor.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

Post by DoubleNickle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the reply but I'm fairly certain that I have located and eliminated all the vacuum leaks, even the smallest ones coming from the injectors. I think it's something else....
1975 Riviera
1.8 FI

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:10 pm

bet it's the aar line
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 pm

DoubleNickle wrote:Thanks for the reply but I'm fairly certain that I have located and eliminated all the vacuum leaks, even the smallest ones coming from the injectors. I think it's something else....
Pull back the rubber boot on the AFM plug with the plug still installed. Check to see if any of the wires are not fully seated (you will see the silvery terminal metal on one wire while all the others are up in the connector. Occasionally a small mis-alignment while plugging it in will let one of the wire terminals push back and that single wire will not be contacting.

Also, important! this one mimics no fuel delivery nicely ... check that the breaker point gap is .016 -.018" with the lobe directly under the point rubbing block (if you have points, I can't remember). If the condensor wire has any breaks in the insulation particularly where it enters the plastic block on the side of the distributor, replace it. Failed condensors also act like no fuel delivery sometimes.

Wish I could just jet out there ...
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:21 am

Dang, waiting with baited breath, I have a '75 with basically the same symptoms...

The bentley has a great FI section with trouble shooting procedures for all the components. The '75 has a couple of one year only differences...

If he is having to add gas to get a few seconds of running, doesn't that mean that his cold start valve isn't doing its job?

I had a double relay connection that was not seated, that was at least part of my trouble. It seems with FI that you really need to go over every little thing and check it out with a magnifying glass. Good luck.

Jet out to me, 'skeptic!!!

DoubleNickle
I'm New!

Post by DoubleNickle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Colin - yes, I wish you could just "Jet out here" also but alas we have not perfected the Star Trek Transporter yet. I have done the check of the AFM plug. All looks good. The new Distributor (has Pertronix) with the engine static timed - when primed, it sounds good until it runs out of gas.

Chit - The cold start valve is new. What I obviously need is someone that is well versed with these things... I'm tired of taking 10 hours to find what someone with experience can accomplish in 20 minutes. I've reached the point of diminishing returns. Thus the other post asking for help.
1975 Riviera
1.8 FI

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 pm

DoubleNickle wrote:Colin - yes, I wish you could just "Jet out here" also but alas we have not perfected the Star Trek Transporter yet. I have done the check of the AFM plug. All looks good. The new Distributor (has Pertronix) with the engine static timed - when primed, it sounds good until it runs out of gas.

Chit - The cold start valve is new. What I obviously need is someone that is well versed with these things... I'm tired of taking 10 hours to find what someone with experience can accomplish in 20 minutes. I've reached the point of diminishing returns. Thus the other post asking for help.
Bentley has a procedure for checking that the cold start and injectors are actually spraying fuel...it seems that is what you engine is failing to do.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Have you tested that injectors are getting elect. signal. I think there is a test procedure that you can use an ohm meter or a test lamp... It will just flicker during cranking.

If you know you are getting juice then you can go to the next step and see if they are spritzing fuel ( a deeper process that requires pulling injectors).

Where are you at? maybe a second pair of hands...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....