71 bus... puddle of brake fluid

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

71 bus... puddle of brake fluid

Post by Birdibus » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:43 am

oh darn, the 71 bus has sprung a leak.... Big leak at the master cylinder and more leaks at the rear brake cylinders. We replaced the brake booster 2 years ago during Colin's visit, and I think a repair was done on the lower reservoir. Records are incomplete, so I can't really remember everything. One of the buses got brakes at some point, but I don't exactly recall.

I limped it over to a mechanic and there it will be repaired, sitting over the weekend waiting for parts.
71 bus, 74 westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Re: 71 bus... puddle of brake fluid

Post by Birdibus » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:48 am

ok, I just found the post where I say we rebuilt the rear brakes on the 74. Good, that job is still intact. The 71 rear brakes are their own separate issue.
71 bus, 74 westy

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 am

Just had that done on the 85 ~ 4 days after Colin left, the brake master cylinder went poof: pedal straight to the floor, no leaks anywhere in the lines.

Total on the job with parts (new master cylinder, booster and brake fluid) was around $500. Don't ask me about how I had them do the leaky transaxle seals (the same one Colin just did on his Bus, in the desert); another $500.

FWIW, they actually got a new master cylinder from their supplier for less than the re-manufactured master cylinder that I bought from a local auto parts place.

Michael L

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes, $500 is the top estimate for my MC/rear brakes job, depending on the brands of the parts. Sigh. It's gotta be done and I surely don't know what I'm doing. One of the staff mechanics used to own his own VW repair shop down the road a bit, and the owner is a classic car enthusiast. Too ironic it happened right after Colin left. I sure hope the brake booster is ok. Actually, it seemed to be functioning even though the brake fluid was super low and the pedal to the floor, it did not feel 'manual', still nicely assisted braking, (I hope).
71 bus, 74 westy

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Brakes are one of the simplest systems on a vehicle and it just hurts MY wallet to hear someone getting charged $500 for them.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Brakes are one of the simplest systems on a vehicle and it just hurts MY wallet to hear someone getting charged $500 for them.
Your wallet shouldn't feel anything in this case; the reason I paid to do it is that I'm very busy now, and the time it would've taken out of my schedule would have resulted in a loss of considerably more than $500 in revenue, net. It was a business decision.

That said, it appeared to me that the master cylinder swap would've been pretty easy... the booster not so much. In the 85 it hides behind two metal pieces that are part of the dash/steering wheel set up, and dollars to doughnuts I would've had to remove, or least unbuckle the dash to get at it. That's about 2-3 hours right there, if I have to move the dash much.

I would've preferred to do it too; the learning can't be replaced.

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Lanval wrote:Just had that done on the 85 ~ 4 days after Colin left, the brake master cylinder went poof: pedal straight to the floor, no leaks anywhere in the lines.

Total on the job with parts (new master cylinder, booster and brake fluid) was around $500. Don't ask me about how I had them do the leaky transaxle seals (the same one Colin just did on his Bus, in the desert); another $500.

FWIW, they actually got a new master cylinder from their supplier for less than the re-manufactured master cylinder that I bought from a local auto parts place.

Michael L
Oh ouch damn it. Cost me $12.00 to do the transaxle side seals. I hate watching money fly away. Geeze.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Birdibus wrote:Too ironic it happened right after Colin left.
I am bitter. And seriously financially hurting.
Colin :pale:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Birdibus wrote:Too ironic it happened right after Colin left.
I am bitter. And seriously financially hurting.
Colin :pale:
Hey, you're the one who hightailed it outta here :bootyshake: I still had problems AND money! That doesn't even mention that lovely, lovely Volvo... it's like you just don't want my cash.

Pshaw.

Michael L

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 am

Amskeptic wrote:Oh ouch damn it. Cost me $12.00 to do the transaxle side seals. I hate watching money fly away. Geeze.
Colin
If I could do it as quickly as you, with the same certainty of success, I might've done it myself. As it is, the hours that I would have spent are not available, or are being spent on things I value more than money, like reading books with my kid.

Mike

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:13 am

1 set rear brake shoes....... 40.86
2 rear wheel cylinders........ 60.00
1 brake fluid/ 1 grease...... 20.00
1 master cylinder............... 98.92
1 fabricated seal between MC and ?... 0.00
labor................................. 200.00
tax..................................... 19.23

total................. 439.01

Mention was made of tape that had been used during previous repair as part of creating a seal/gasket between the MC and lower BF reservoir... Colin's make-do with available materials 2 years ago. Again, no supplier had the proper seal available for sale, so the mechanics had to do their own improvising to fabricate a seal. This blown seal was the source of the big leak. They showed me the master cylinder and said the rubber seals were shot. I'm not sure what I was looking at. I asked for them to keep the part, but I forgot to take it home. The brake booster from the Hesperia junk yard, chosen for me and installed 2 years ago by Colin, is still functioning well. There is a slow leak in the proportioning valve. The driver's seat was stuck because of seat stuffing fibers, but was cleaned and lubed, so now can be adjusted.

la de da.
71 bus, 74 westy

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 am

Holy moly that shop marks up parts a bunch....Glad its fixed.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

They work on a lot of classic cars there... very hoity toity. What would the parts cost if I bought them? Next time I'm trying another local VW mechanic if I'm in a pinch. It was a matter of who answered the phone first last Friday, and the other guy didn't answer.

Does anyone know the name and part number of the seal between the MC and lower reservoir? Or is it a different seal that is so unusual, like the one to the brake booster for instance? I ought to make a wider search for it, for the future, just in case. It seems a vital part for a 71 bus, and odd it can't be found.
71 bus, 74 westy

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Birdibus wrote:They work on a lot of classic cars there... very hoity toity. What would the parts cost if I bought them? Next time I'm trying another local VW mechanic if I'm in a pinch. It was a matter of who answered the phone first last Friday, and the other guy didn't answer.

Does anyone know the name and part number of the seal between the MC and lower reservoir? Or is it a different seal that is so unusual, like the one to the brake booster for instance? I ought to make a wider search for it, for the future, just in case. It seems a vital part for a 71 bus, and odd it can't be found.
Heh. did they feed your bus caviar? Birdi - I think Wolfsburg West has those. Part 42 211 11 817A $2.00 You need two of them

Edited to add. At first I thought you was robbed but I just did a quick look at the Wolfsburg price list again and you didn't do too badly. $40 for shoes. Wheel Cylinders $69 each. You might do better if you check around. I just bought wheel cylinders for my bug and I think they were only around $25 @. Whats kind of curious is they don't show a Master Cylinder for your year. Do '71's have a lot of one year parts?

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:29 pm

71 has a brake booster. I don't know about 72, but it was new in 71. The seal might be a one year part. Colin knew this, and brought a used seal from the junkyard where he bought the booster, or else babied the old one... I don't quite recall. I do remember it being a tenuous repair, and scarcity of the part being discussed at the time. I think we did well to make it last 2+ years. Last week the mechanic thought he had the seal located and drove 20 miles to get it only to find it was wrong. He knows about wolfsburg west, maybe that's where he went. Someone explained to me there were 3 different wheel cylinders available at very different prices... not sure which brand was installed. Same situation with the MC... different prices. I requested the mid priced items.
71 bus, 74 westy