static timing

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

static timing

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I've discovered that your timing can drift if you don't tighten down the clamp on the distributor. It must drift to the retarded side based on the lack of power I experienced on the drive up, having to hit first gear in spots normally second gear isn't a problem for.

I can't seem to get Bertha started to set the timing, and thought I should at least get a base with the static timing procedure. So I have the pulley at the five degree mark and the test lamp doesn't go out. Ever. I have gap, so at the moment am at a loss.

When I pulled the distributor to check the gap, I noticed a nasty mess of metal particle filled oil on the stem. Huh?

No good can come of that. Let me get my worry hat on.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: static timing

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 pm

With gap, without gap, no difference. Static timing lamp stays on. What am I doing wrong?

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:13 pm

A new set of points seems to have done the trick.

neal
:withstupid:

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Sorry Neal.. I wasn't much help but I was here rooting for ya!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 pm

The points looked ok. But I had Cheryle spin the engine while I spun the distributor with the dynamic timing light hooked up and there were no flashes at all anywhere. That's when my dim bulb started to glow and I changed points.

My static timing skills are still challenged. Got it going but I think I missed the right cylinder somehow as it was rough and clunky until I spun the statically timed distributor what seemed like a full 45 degrees of advance before I found my 5 degree mark. Thought I needed a new engine for sure, and certainly didn't do it much good.

And for sure clamped that distributor down this time. Uhm, well, I'll double check in the morning just to be sure.

neal

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Ya, they always drift to retarded because of the way the engine turns' ya know.
Weird about the points. Must've been shorted somehwere besided the gap. No matter, you found it. Good job.

I don't like the metal/oil slurry there. It could be from the loose distributor popping up and the key not engaging the drive tightly = rubbing or vibrating. Just a guess. Any metal on the dipstick or anywhere else in the oil?
Is it magnetic? If not it's prolly the bronze bushing in the dizzy wearing.