Oil cooler

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Oil cooler

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:38 pm

78 Westy, 2l
I have a big oil leak. I drips down by the oil filter. I tightened the oil filter, it still leaks.
I had this happen in another bus once, it was the oil cooler seals.
That is what I think it is again.
Is there a way to check and repair the oil cooler leak with the engine in the bus?

jtauxe
Addicted!

Re: Oil cooler

Post by jtauxe » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Possibly, but it will probably be less of a PITA to remove the engine. Servicing the oil cooler like this requires that you remove the fan shroud, and that is very hard to do with the engine in place. Just take it out. And go after other seals while you have it out.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:32 am

jtauxe wrote:Possibly, but it will probably be less of a PITA to remove the engine. Servicing the oil cooler like this requires that you remove the fan shroud, and that is very hard to do with the engine in place. Just take it out. And go after other seals while you have it out.
I was thinking that, but hoping not.

I had a nice 24' X 24' covered cement slap I put in at the last place I lived at. I probably dropped T4 Bus engines about 8 times and T1 beetles engines about 5 times.
Not looking forward to doing it on dirt, I do have a piece of plywood though.
Looks like a good project to start tomorrow, or today.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:34 am

jtauxe wrote:it will probably be less of a PITA to remove the engine.
x2.
Our bus's fresh rebuild had a leak at the oil pump so in our naiveté we pulled the fan shroud (in two halves) to get the pump. In the end it worked, but it would've been much easier to pull the engine.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 am

Can you rule out a leaking OP sender first?
79 VW Bus

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 am

I tried to replace mine with the engine in. Fahgedaboutit.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 am

Take it out and take some pictures. I don't think I have ever seen your Bus Steve.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:18 am

I have done this a couple of times and its not that bad, in fact its pretty easy.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:56 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Can you rule out a leaking OP sender first?
Randy, Randy Randy,
After reading this I headed outside, wiped off the OP sender and started the bus up.
There was a puddle of oil sitting on top where the spade connector comes through.
I removed the OP sender, unfortunately I had to steal one. Yep, I stole one from a bus not too far from the 78. Good news is I own that bus too.
I replaced it, and started it up. There were a few new drops from the oil filter, but I think that is leftover oil. The flow was less.
Time will tell when I go for a spin this evening, but I think it is fixed. It was loosing more than half a quart in 30 minutes.

Sylvester wrote:Take it out and take some pictures. I don't think I have ever seen your Bus Steve.
I didn't take the engine out and I didn't take any pictures, I'm charging up the camera ATT.
I haven't taken too many pictures over the years. But here is one of my two buses under the carport we built at the old location.
The 78 is the blue/white one. It was original green when we saw it's picture on the Internet, when we went to look at it the seller had botches of primer on poor body work, so I let my girlfriend Jill have at it with spray cans. That was about 6+ years ago. The green one is my 74, I got that running again last year for my son going to college, but he didn't need it anymore and I took it off the road to lower the insurance bill.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:51 am

Sweet.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:51 am

I don't know why some of these OP senders develop leaks.

If that fixed your problem, you got lucky this time. Relish your good fortune!!
79 VW Bus

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 pm

steve74baywin wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Take it out and take some pictures. I don't think I have ever seen your Bus Steve.
I didn't take the engine out and I didn't take any pictures, I'm charging up the camera ATT.
I haven't taken too many pictures over the years. But here is one of my two buses under the carport we built at the old location.
The 78 is the blue/white one. It was original green when we saw it's picture on the Internet, when we went to look at it the seller had botches of primer on poor body work, so I let my girlfriend Jill have at it with spray cans. That was about 6+ years ago. The green one is my 74, I got that running again last year for my son going to college, but he didn't need it anymore and I took it off the road to lower the insurance bill.

Nice Steve. So the green monster is waiting for it's next assignment?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:29 am

Sylvester wrote:
Nice Steve. So the green monster is waiting for it's next assignment?
The green one is the one I would like to use as my daily driver.

Well it certainly looks like the oil leak is fixed.

Good job and Thanks Randy.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 am

Well, well.
Turns out it wasn't the oil pressure sending unit.
It appeared to fix the problem, while idling here in the yard.
But when the RPM's pick up the oil still came out. It took a few small daily trips to notice.

We lowered the engine this weekend, but kept it connected to the transmission and removed the fan, some tin, and the fan housing.
One of the nuts for the oil cooler was gone and one loose. Only one remained tight.
These only get 5 ft pounds or 60 in pounds or torque.
It was either myself or Jill that put them on 1.5 years and 14000 miles ago.
This time, I put some sealer that should keep them on.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:16 am

Would that sealer be like "locktite blue or green" on the oil cooler nuts?
79 VW Bus