Hard Starting

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cowskey
I'm New!

Hard Starting

Post by cowskey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Colin
You and I worked on the carb set up on my 73 Westy, here in Cloverdale, CA a few weeks ago.
I have this problem. When I leave the camper for 2 or 3 days, I have to pump the gas pedal a number of times before the engine will fire and them it dies. I'll pump the gas again and it will start and run on fast idle.
If I start it everyday, I just depress the gas pedal to set the choke and it will run nicely.
Any thoughts?
By the way, I replaced vacuum brake booster hoses from the engine compartment to the booster. It needed it. It was pieced together at the firewall.
I still haven't had the camper on the road. Still waiting for the title from the DMV in New York.
How's everything with you? The weather is starting to feel like fall. The leaves are changing and the temps are cooling down.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: Hard Starting

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 pm

The difference is behavior based upon how long it sits is due to fuel evaporating from the carbs. After it sits a few days the carb bowls are low, and need the fuel pump/engine to run to fill them back up.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Hard Starting

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Kinda the reason I would prefer an electric fuel pump compared to the mechanical one :/
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car