XC and back... hopefully

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: XC and back... hopefully

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Gypsie wrote:
RSorak 71Westy wrote: The best solution is a Pertronix.
I must admit, even with the anecdotal feedback of my brethren I have been, Shhh not too loud, I don't want Colin or the wagon to hear, very happy with my pertronix...four years and running...
The Pertronix in the BobD is four years old.
So poo

:bootyshake:

Really! I thought that the BobD was stock! Is it an improvement? Really? Nevermind.

I have a request. If the RD, or the TBRNRD, does not already have zerk fittings on the balljoints, would you please be so kind as to write up a HowTo?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 pm

I have been pretty happy with my pertronics as well. Been running it for roughly 6 years. Started life in my 009, but got transferred to my new SVDA last year. Still no problems, but I do have a brand new set of points in the glove box.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:27 am

I have a Pertronix for Sam I have not put in yet. I went with points until I got the carb set up.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 am

Made it to Denver on that second set of points... Until I was 2 miles from my buddy's house and it started running like crap again. So with all this talk about pertronix I bought a set locally but I'm not sure how to set the gap for this set up. It came with a plastic spacer but do you use it horizontally or vertically?
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:42 pm

The thinnest section is the gap between the pickup and the rotor piece.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:14 pm

chachi wrote:
bajaman72 wrote:I have been pretty happy with my pertronics as well. Been running it for roughly 6 years. Started life in my 009, but got transferred to my new SVDA last year. Still no problems, but I do have a brand new set of points in the glove box.
interesting, i thought they were supposed to be different for the SVDAs and the non-vacuums.
I thought so too. I emailed them because originally I purchased a vac advance one for my 009. I was told I could still use it but to not install the spacer/plate on the 009. I threw it in the glove box (just in case). Was digging like a mad man after I purchased the SVDA, lo and behold I found it way in the back under all the junk that ends up back there. Purchase the mechanical advance one and it doesn't come with the plate/spacer, so your pretty much screwed.

Wherethehellismyavatar
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car