Working On My List

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:46 am

But since I do not understand physics, have poorly maintained vehicles, and no common sense
What kind of krapola is this? I will not entertain this ridiculosity further.
Oy, others should have it so good.
(stupid bitter irony)
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Manfred wrote:I obviously have stumbled onto on of Colins sore spots.
AHH *^&^&@$#*!*(@&!%^@#$, FOR %$$&@(#@_ SAKES, I AM JUST !*^#$^$#$$$ POINTING OUT THAT THE *^$%$@% BILSTEINS ARE PERFECTLY $#$^** FINE IF YOU SET THE G$#^D%$*N EMERGENCY BRAKE AND CHOCK A ^%^*$ WHEEL!

I never got to use my original Bilstein jack in the Road Warrior. The jacking ports were too far gone.

Really now, when you see a VW slowly topple the jack because the car is moving, you always hear the jacker jacking his jaws about that cheap piece of $#^$ jack, when it wasn't isn't and never will be the jack's fault.

I get just as cranky, YOU BET YOUR SWEET @$$, when people disparage the Type 4 engine as not being able to handle hot summer freeways, "because they always drop valve seats" yeah sure just look at the engines that do finally throw in the towel, poorly tuned, filthy, poorly driven, poorly maintained, anyways, how 'bout that Brazilian scissor jack deal, wait until the thrust bushing/bearing gives up, you'll be begging for the Bilstein. :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:19 am

Amskeptic wrote:I get just as cranky, YOU BET YOUR SWEET @$$, when people disparage the Type 4 engine as not being able to handle hot summer freeways, "because they always drop valve seats" yeah sure just look at the engines that do finally throw in the towel, poorly tuned, filthy, poorly driven, poorly maintained, anyways, how 'bout that Brazilian scissor jack deal, wait until the thrust bushing/bearing gives up, you'll be begging for the Bilstein. :blackeye:
hahahahahahahahaha...I knew I wasn't seeing things outta the corner of my eye. Embrace Brazil. They'll be hosting the Olympics in however many years, after all.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:12 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Manfred wrote:I obviously have stumbled onto on of Colins sore spots.
AHH *^&^&@$#*!*(@&!%^@#$, FOR %$$&@(#@_ SAKES, I AM JUST !*^#$^$#$$$ POINTING OUT THAT THE *^$%$@% BILSTEINS ARE PERFECTLY $#$^** FINE IF YOU SET THE G$#^D%$*N EMERGENCY BRAKE AND CHOCK A ^%^*$ WHEEL!

I never got to use my original Bilstein jack in the Road Warrior. The jacking ports were too far gone.

Really now, when you see a VW slowly topple the jack because the car is moving, you always hear the jacker jacking his jaws about that cheap piece of $#^$ jack, when it wasn't isn't and never will be the jack's fault.

I get just as cranky, YOU BET YOUR SWEET @$$, when people disparage the Type 4 engine as not being able to handle hot summer freeways, "because they always drop valve seats" yeah sure just look at the engines that do finally throw in the towel, poorly tuned, filthy, poorly driven, poorly maintained, anyways, how 'bout that Brazilian scissor jack deal, wait until the thrust bushing/bearing gives up, you'll be begging for the Bilstein. :blackeye:

Let's all give Colin one big group hug. Thank you, Colin for you insight. We all appreciate it. Group Hug!
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 am

The type 4 is missing those delicious 1930s curves though. Is that reason enough? I think so.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:19 am

I blame the Lexus. :flower:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:51 am

I got stuck in sand once, my cheap floor jack just sunk. the bilstein and it's round piece of wood cut for this stuff got me out .Jack, Stuff sage brush under tire, repeat 10 times. Succes! No amount of blocking would keep that foor jack in place. I vote bilstein.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:14 pm

Here's my latest shopping list...

Modified Taco Plate to accept an oil temp gauge
Oil pressure gauge and sender
Pop top seal
brake drum rubber bits
rear brake shoes
Aux battery and relay
Driver's seat padding (both seat and back)
Front window scrapers - both doors
sunvisor clips
antennia
aux heater hose
spare key
spare points/condenser
spare fan belt
slider door lock rubber groment
new window rubber - rear w/ vent wing
license plate light gasket
and new fuel injection fuel hose and air filter.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Oil temps are the best to monitor. Just my 2 cents. I was on the highway and saw that gauge reach 260 and I was like something is wrong, even thought cht was cool. Turned out I was leaking oil and close to a quart low.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Oil temps are the best to monitor. Just my 2 cents. I was on the highway and saw that gauge reach 260 and I was like something is wrong, even thought cht was cool. Turned out I was leaking oil and close to a quart low.
Thanks for your advice. I currently have the CHT but I would like to get the other gauges too and you gave a good reason why it's a good idea to have more than just the CHT. My greatest fear (and thrill) is breaking down with the family in Nowheresville, Minnesota.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:57 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Oil temps are the best to monitor. Just my 2 cents. I was on the highway and saw that gauge reach 260 and I was like something is wrong, even thought cht was cool. Turned out I was leaking oil and close to a quart low.
You need both. At times they really do act independently to each other. If your AFR is way lean and frying your heads you'll likely barely see the evidence in the oil temp.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Westy78 wrote: You need both. At times they really do act independently to each other. If your AFR is way lean and frying your heads you'll likely barely see the evidence in the oil temp.
As Hippie can attest, running lean is bad over the long run. That CHT though, is driving me nuts. I routinely am over 430, without any apparent issue. I am not driving lean. I've checked the plugs, etc. The oil temps gauge, though, paid off big time when I had a valve cover gasket gone wild, leading to a leak which would have fried my motor in short order...

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:02 am

chitwnvw wrote:
Westy78 wrote: You need both. At times they really do act independently to each other. If your AFR is way lean and frying your heads you'll likely barely see the evidence in the oil temp.
As Hippie can attest, running lean is bad over the long run. That CHT though, is driving me nuts. I routinely am over 430, without any apparent issue. I am not driving lean. I've checked the plugs, etc. The oil temps gauge, though, paid off big time when I had a valve cover gasket gone wild, leading to a leak which would have fried my motor in short order...
Is your sender under a sparkplug? I tried installing my sender under the #3 plug but I ended up ovaling out the ring, even with the convenience of having the engine out of the bus. So I trimmed the sender and JB Welded it the head instead. My gauge doesn't read as high as 350, but I know that the reading is just realitive to the norm.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:49 am

Mine is under the spark plug. CK swears you can get elevated readings this way, i think the theory is a little bit of escaped exhaust would jack it up pretty quick.

Are you using the VDO or the Dakota Digital?

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:53 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Mine is under the spark plug. CK swears you can get elevated readings this way, i think the theory is a little bit of escaped exhaust would jack it up pretty quick.

Are you using the VDO or the Dakota Digital?
VDO, mounted in the dash under the radio; which is another reason why I need oil temp and oil pressure gauges, to balance the dash out.

Are you worried that the little bit of escaped gas could hurt (or at least not help) your engine?

[albumimg]2914[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2913[/albumimg]