Sam the Bus dies at idle

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Sam the Bus dies at idle

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:00 am

Holy mackerel this morning going to bus stop Sam was sputtering on load, like a jerk and loss of power all the way to the station, this came out of the blue, like every three seconds on acceleration. What would cause this? I was afraid Sam would die in route.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:14 am

What about some less complicated possible causes, like a clogged fuel filter, or malfunctioning fuel pump?
1979 California Transporter

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

dont know if its been covered, but the 'idle circuit' in those picts often clog with dirt..that will affect idle as well as progression
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 am

All I know is I felt like a jet pilot at 80,000 feet and the engine started sputtering. I flet like I was going to be plummeting quick.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Home from work, started Sam and she died quite a few times. Once she was warmed up she ran ok, no idle problems but still the occasional sputtering on the road. Comes and goes, when cold Sam idles then sputters and dies. When warmed she runs and even idles. I really don't get it.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 am

adjust the choke and turn up the idle.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 am

Have you replaced the condenser and checked the points? Perhaps it's time to try a different carb as well. There really aren't that many components on a type1 engine, you should be able to rule things out.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:37 pm

I just put this carb on in October, I did the rebuild myself but not had issues until now, except with idle. I do have another carb but it is torn apart right now. The points and conenser are from that upgrade too, I do have my brand new Pertronix I could put in now. My bet is it sound electrical since it comes and goes. I hate electrical gremlins.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Bad gas? Twice in my lifetime I filled when those big tanker trucks were filling the underground tanks and I had the symptoms you describe.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:35 am

RussellK wrote:Bad gas? Twice in my lifetime I filled when those big tanker trucks were filling the underground tanks and I had the symptoms you describe.

May have been just that, bad gas. When the tank was near empty I put half a tank in, and now no more hippy hippy shake and sputter. I was really worried there. Still have to adjust my idle.