Wdollie6 Bus Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Wdollie6 Bus Thread

Post by asiab3 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 am

Ah, you found the first AND third rules of troubleshooting! :pirate:
1) Try the easiest thing first.
2) Don't trust the person who worked on it before you if they were not able to fix the problem.
3) Most issues are caused by a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

A lot of modern battery chargers will show "bad battery" if the voltage is below a certain threshold. Connecting two batteries together in parallel will trick the charger into allowing the dead battery to accept a charge. Funny, because the battery chargers are usually made by the same people that want to sell you a new battery…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
119k miles with me.
296k miles on Earth.

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 am

The Fatboy chronicles continue. On the way to our new, local brew pub (within three miles on a dirt road) with my TX brother and nephew from CA, discovered bucking/surging and a lack of power to traverse the hills, 3rd gear hills turned into 2nd, 2nd to 1st... and so on. So as expected we finished the adventure and enjoyed a few beverages, what else could I do with such a diverse crowd.

The following day evaluated the situation always thinking about worse case. Pulled distributor cap wires, one by one, #4 the culprit, nephew was not impressed that I did it with my bare hand but no worse for the wear. Not a fuel issue as #3 was running fine. Checked spark at cap, all good, checked spark at plug had spark, hmm. Pulled plug, plug was perfect color, gap was perfect, had spark to plug, hmmm.... At this point I am in panic mode as I am thinking valves/head issue, checked valves, they were spot on from where they were set last summer, no signs of trouble. So I pull out the as of yet unused compression test equipment and do a quick cold test on cylinder #4, 140 psi, okay, I think? Matches what I had on that cylinder originally, makes sense only driven Fatboy less than two thousand miles since rebuild.

At this point feel better about the valves but still scratching my head :scratch: . Son #2 drops by and suggests testing the wire resistance and compare to a know good one, tell him I already checked spark at all locations, not the issue. He insists, IT guys think they are more worldly than Engineers... turns out he is. The resistance in the #4 wire was very high, while I had spark at all the right locations the quality of the spark was poor. After rechecking spark at the cap, nice white/blue spark, at the plug an orange-ish/yellow weak spark. So I did what anyone would do to save face, told my son that I didn't have my glasses on at the time... he walked away saying "Sure, okay Pop."

New plug wires on order (assume other wires not far behind), should have by Wednesday. NAPA indicated that Belden are the best they offer, we shall see. By the way cut up the bad wire and found significant corrosion in the first two to three inches of the wire on the plug side. Disappointed as these were Bosch wires that were only a few years old.

Look forward to your visit on 6/2 Colin.

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:03 am

Also should have mentioned that we did take a known good wire (low resistance) from # 2 and installed on #4 cylinder, #4 ran fine, although roughly at first. As I said new wires on the way.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:03 am
Also should have mentioned that we did take a known good wire (low resistance) from # 2 and installed on #4 cylinder, #4 ran fine, although roughly at first. As I said new wires on the way.
I hope there are good wires and proper resistance in the connectors. Tell Fatboy that ain't cool after all of your good work to torment you in front of friends and family.

The Road Warrior (in 1979) waited until my oldest sister was in the car (she had sniffed, "is it CLEAN?") to short its alternator B+ wire into full meltdown airplane cabin plastic fire and it burned the fuel hose halfway through. Good lord! how hard I did have to appear "nonchalant" "oh, it's nothing, just a little piece of plastic." Then it behaved perfectly for 24 years ...
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,155 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,820 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 00,000/7 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 78,885 miles

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 am

As a follow up to Colin's extended visit last week, believe it or not we actually did accomplish a many great things on Fatboy.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13835&p=233072#p232974

The replacement of the rear torsion bushings, rear adjustments to correct what the "professional" alignment folks called good, adjusted brakes and while in the process freed up a frozen/rusted emergency brake (bolt was used vs. a proper pin with a clip). Front end was adjusted as well, will watch tire wear for the next 100 miles or so to determine what else may be necessary.

During the test drive Colin noticed that we still had a bucking/hesitation problem so insisted that we go through the process, valve adjustment, points, etc., ending with a check of the timing. During the points adjustment Colin indicated that something wasn't quite right with the distributor, too loose, vertically. Right again, found the culprit quickly, centrifugal advance did not exist, no movement of the strobe at all. Pulled out my rebuilt, backup distributor installed it and like magic everything returned to somewhat normal, still had a slight hesitation but ran great.

Since Colin was in Delhi for multiple days, I worked on other VW issues while he was on site, distracting him with questions far too often. These questions included discussions focused on the 66' Bug, enlightening me as to the value of the vehicle and potential repair/improvements related to finish; proper adhesives for headliner, etc. Also found that the original muffler (or at least the one that came with the car) is in need of replacement, any suggestions?

Again, my sincere apologies Colin as I feel like I might have been the cause of some of the "loss of control" of your engine re-assembly process. That being said I found that our conversations led to a deeper understanding of the mechanics of air cooled VWs, I appreciate your time and patience.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 am
As a follow up to Colin's extended visit last week, believe it or not we actually did accomplish a many great things on Fatboy.

(editor's note: I am trying to get wdollie6's appointment to be its own post. Things are screwed up, but you'll know you are there when you open "New York New Heads Day One" and see a new title pop up inside "Itinerant Air-Cooled In NY". Good grief)

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13835#p232985

The replacement of the rear torsion bushings, rear adjustments to correct what the "professional" alignment folks called good, adjusted brakes and while in the process freed up a frozen/rusted emergency brake (bolt was used vs. a proper pin with a clip). Front end was adjusted as well, will watch tire wear for the next 100 miles or so to determine what else may be necessary.

During the test drive Colin noticed that we still had a bucking/hesitation problem so insisted that we go through the process, valve adjustment, points, etc., ending with a check of the timing. During the points adjustment Colin indicated that something wasn't quite right with the distributor, too loose, vertically. Right again, found the culprit quickly, centrifugal advance did not exist, no movement of the strobe at all. Pulled out my rebuilt, backup distributor installed it and like magic everything returned to somewhat normal, still had a slight hesitation but ran great.

Since Colin was in Delhi for multiple days, I worked on other VW issues while he was on site, distracting him with questions far too often. These questions included discussions focused on the 66' Bug, enlightening me as to the value of the vehicle and potential repair/improvements related to finish; proper adhesives for headliner, etc. Also found that the original muffler (or at least the one that came with the car) is in need of replacement, any suggestions?

Again, my sincere apologies Colin as I feel like I might have been the cause of some of the "loss of control" of your engine re-assembly process. That being said I found that our conversations led to a deeper understanding of the mechanics of air cooled VWs, I appreciate your time and patience.
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,155 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,820 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 00,000/7 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 78,885 miles