More advice needed - won't start

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: More advice needed - won't start

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:00 pm

chitwnvw wrote: If he is having to add gas to get a few seconds of running, doesn't that mean that his cold start valve isn't doing its job?
Jet out to me, 'skeptic!!!
Since the cold start valve is just a momentary transition (no more than 11 seconds at sub-zero temps only while starter is activated), I think he has a different problem since the engine does run well during his prime period.

With engines that have not started for some time, it is a very good idea to pull the plugs and clean the electrodes to a shiny clean surface where the spark jumps or even stick in some new plugs. In cold temps, a failed start will coat the plugs with fuel and even some water from cold condensation, this will kill the spark very effectively.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 am

I stick by my assessment. If he dumps fuel in it run, if not it doesn't. Problem seems to be one of fuel delivery, cuz we got spark!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm with you regarding spark, Chi, 'specially if it starts every time prime fuel is added. Though Cold start is only 1/5 of the fuel delivery. I am in the 'injectors aint spittin" camp. Now to figger out why?

30# at fuel rail...? What about flow. have you tested? use the same port you put your gauge on. Use some fuel line to squirt the fuel into. activate the pump with the AFM wiper and measure the flow using the bentley directed test. It will be a little less because of the size of the hole but you can see if there is flow, sediment, gel, (I recently had some gel form in the filter). Could be restricted flow at the injectors though I am leaning toward electrical issues.

Of course you have confirmed that your main ECU plug is seated properly...?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:08 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I stick by my assessment. If he dumps fuel in it run, if not it doesn't. Problem seems to be one of fuel delivery, cuz we got spark!
doesn't that mean that his cold start valve isn't doing its job?
I answered the cold start question for you.
It is out of the picture every time the engine is running.
Whatever prevents the engine from continuing to run, is where we have to go here.
We may very well be dealing with a no fuel issue, yes, but do not hang around the cold start valve.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:11 pm

My cold start statement was actually a question, not an assertion. If I understand how it is supposed to work, the cold start valve should give you a few seconds of running.

I followed that up with:
Bentley has a procedure for checking that the cold start and injectors are actually spraying fuel...it seems that is what you engine is failing to do.
By which, if I failed to state it clearly enough, meant to indicate that I thought he should make sure fuel is getting into the cylinders.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:18 pm

chitwnvw wrote:My cold start statement was actually a question, not an assertion. If I understand how it is supposed to work, the cold start valve should give you a few seconds of running.

I followed that up with:
Bentley has a procedure for checking that the cold start and injectors are actually spraying fuel...it seems that is what you engine is failing to do.
By which, if I failed to state it clearly enough, meant to indicate that I thought he should make sure fuel is getting into the cylinders.
So we are at the same page with the same questions.

Experiment 1:
This will help us ascertain that we have an ignition system that can handle all this cold non-starting. Ensure spark at coil wire to distributor cap by asking assistant to crank engine while you hold wire 1/4" from the center cap terminal, look for a spark and see how far you can get spark to jump. 3/8" is a sufficient spark.

Experiment 2:
After reinserting wire from coil into cap, prime the engine with gasoline like you have in the past, have assistant crank engine. When it starts, grab that wiper in the AFM and move it counterclockwise to try to find a mixture that the engine likes.
IF YOU SENSE AN EFFECT that the engine likes what you tried, please let us know here.

Additionally, check each terminal in the plastic ECU connector for being properly seated. The last big no-start I had to deal with (soulful66's FI bus) was because #7 connector had dislodged in the ECU plug, preventing the injectors from getting a ground signal.
Colin