Crikey! Not Again.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Crikey! Not Again.

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:47 pm

SlowLane wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:And yes, the small grounding wire isn't soldered to anything, but wrapped around the post and tangled in the spring on the end of the vacuum advance arm. So when vacuum advances, tension on that copper braid wire is eased. It's a cleaner wire than it was. I noticed on a different distributor that that grounding wire was longer with an end not a spade but a loop tightened down under the gap adjust bolt holding down the point assembly. I like that better than the solder.
I'm really having trouble visualizing this. Can you post a picture?
ruckman101 wrote: Then again, last night at the Lab, others have had no running issues with that little internal distributor ground gone, everything's grounded through the distributor body to the case anyway the logic goes.
I think that Bosch has as many bean-counters as any large corporation, and if the little ground strap wasn't necessary, they would have snipped it off. The point carrier plate in a vacuum-advance distributor rides on three little plastic buttons which insulate the carrier plate from the base plate in the distributor body. There are other points of contact where the carrier plate may ground to the base plate, but those are sliding contacts, and not guaranteed to provide a reliable electrical ground.

This is side discussion, however. The problem you're facing doesn't seem to be a lack of ground, but the opposite: unconditional ground. Hope the correct points solve the problem for you.

Lyle
Here is the ground strap set-up on the 113 905 205T. Strap is loose, so I wrapped and tangled it into the spring.

I've only seen the strap soldered ever, so am assuming that this is an innovative owner's work-around/solution to a broken ground strap that I like better than solder. This is on a 113 905 205M.

I've also noticed that the vacuum can, while responsive, doesn't hold it's vacuum. Vacuum advance, plug, and it slowly creeps back to a non advanced position. So I'm going to swap it with the can from the 205M which doesn't lose it's vacuum when plugged.

Hopefully this issue isn't going to get the best of me today.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Dandy. Static timed real text-book. But then the battery wouldn't turn the engine over. It has been awful cold this past week, still, it doesn't usually kill my battery. Double checked the wires at the starter, polished them all up purty and shiny, still nothing, so battery charger it was. Seemed to do the trick. Screamed to life this morning, cold idle at 2400 rpm, but settled down to a sweet just under 900 rpm, clutch is adjusted correctly, was able to pull and block the vacuum hose and set timing at 0 degrees with the light.

Went on a short test run and she ran like a dream. Smooth, no hesitation, transaxle is a bit whinier than the other one, power, no backfiring, responsive. Hallelujah!

Dipstick still cool, thermostat opened, no excessive temps anywhere I could point the laser temperature gun. Neal is happy.

neal

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Dipstick still cool, thermostat opened, no excessive temps anywhere I could point the laser temperature gun. Neal is happy.
:cheers:
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Indeed. Not sure what the issue was, which is annoying. Same points, same used cap and rotor, same new condenser. Dwell is at 48. Did put the better working vacuum can on, did put the grounding jumper into the distributor rather than tangling the ground braid into the spring. Now to get a spacer back onto the back passenger drum still scraping on the brake backing plate even with the essentially new drums. Turn signals, new brake pads, bearings up front, heater control cables, uhhh what else, oh yeah, new engine and used transaxle into the ghia, new DP for Bertha, then the SP engine can go into the baja, or maybe the new DP into the baja, undecided, then I have the limping SP that came out of the ghia, and Bertha's dead engine to tear down to see where they are at. Oh my.

One step at a time, at least the "no car" crisis seems to be over for the moment.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Indeed.
One step at a time,
Good grief, that ^ is quite a list for wintertime.

My Winter List:
BobD: inflate tires to 42, dust with Lemon Pledge under dash.
TBRRD: inflate tires to 42, wash windows.
Lexus: get a jump start at the AutoZone, get a jump start at the storage unit, get a jump start at the Marathon gas station, get a cup of chili and ponder why I need jump starts.
Wait for 70* and sunny.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Brrr. Studded tires onto the back of Bertha tomorrow. The laser temp tells me the shop area is a brisk 42 degrees today. Our dry spell seems to be over. A misty rain started which has now turned to snow.

Went into town yesterday for a mess of errands and Bertha was a champ. Seem to have an oil drip, and the smell of burning oil is wafting into the cab somehow. Dang it.

neal

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:30 am

a v/c or the head end of a p/r tube leak can find it's way into the h/e.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Ok, I got p/r, push-rod tube; h/e, heat exchanger; but you lost me on v/c.

neal

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:11 pm

valve cover. not being short. posting on a wII. waving a remote around to move a cursor to one letter a t time. on a flat tv. ;»)
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:valve cover. not being short. posting on a wII. waving a remote around to move a cursor to one letter a t time. on a flat tv. ;»)
lol, I am familiar with that tedium. Thanks.

neal

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 am

Hellz yes! Nice job man, good to know that you fixed for now. :)

See you tonight?