Need a muffler for a 71 fasty

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sad_rocc
I'm New!

Need a muffler for a 71 fasty

Post by sad_rocc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Somehow, in my solid, cement-floor garage, enough condensation had built up to puddle in my muffler and rot a hole in it. I have this setup http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 2DD%2D2071 and can't seem to find just the muffler anywhere. I don't particularly like the current exhaust so I'm not inclined to spend $100 to replace the whole thing, but it seems headers run about $90 and a single glasspack and tip is another $50 or so. Anyone know where I can find just the muffler?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Need a muffler for a 71 fasty

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 pm

sad_rocc wrote:Somehow, in my solid, cement-floor garage, enough condensation had built up to puddle in my muffler and rot a hole in it. I have this setup http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 2DD%2D2071 and can't seem to find just the muffler anywhere. I don't particularly like the current exhaust so I'm not inclined to spend $100 to replace the whole thing, but it seems headers run about $90 and a single glasspack and tip is another $50 or so. Anyone know where I can find just the muffler?

Stock muffler 311251061F available at www.ISPWest.com $374.00.
It will last four times longer than your cheapy $99.95, so it is the better value.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sad_rocc
I'm New!

Post by sad_rocc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Holy crap! And I would need headers to connect it to the engine and a tip or something to come after it. :pale: I didn't see them listed on the site but I don't know their exact names and couldn't decipher it from the exploded drawing.

So I'm guessing a replacement muffler is out of the question? I think Empi was the original maker of the setup I have.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:55 am

sad_rocc wrote:Holy crap! And I would need headers to connect it to the engine and a tip or something to come after it. :pale: I didn't see them listed on the site but I don't know their exact names and couldn't decipher it from the exploded drawing.

So I'm guessing a replacement muffler is out of the question? I think Empi was the original maker of the setup I have.
It is a shocking moment, true. But we of the modern 21st Century know that most stuff is crap and the EMPI mufflers barely make it past two seasons. So assume that it costs $50.00 per year for the privilege of a quiet running engine. Will a stock set up that costs you a total of $500.00 give you ten years? Sure. I have a '73 Squareback with 54,000 miles and a stock 37 year-old exhaust system.

Please remember that you must not ever run and then shut off a still-cold engine for storage. That is not just condensation in the exhaust system and inside the muffler baffles, it is corrosive acidic combustion byproducts. You have to thoroughly warm up the engine 30 minutes of hard work at the very least, get it to the storage spot and shut it off while as hot as possible. Then never run the engine "once a month to keep it happy" because that will rot the exhaust and acidify the oil.
Things You Never Knew,
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 am

That's a lot of cabbage for a muffler.

What to do in the winter, 15 minute drive to pick up the kid, but it really doesn't have a chance to get hot? Let it idle in the driveway?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat