*UPDATE* 1992 GTi for 1973 Squareback? *pics*

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

*UPDATE* 1992 GTi for 1973 Squareback? *pics*

Post by Maz804 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Howdy folks!
I bought this GTi off my brother for $800. It has a salvage title because the same tree that fell on my brother's orange westy, also caused some collateral damage to the GTi i.e. crashed windshield, hood and passenger fender. All else is in working order. I've since replaced the windshield for $60 and my brother already had a replacement hood in his storage, albeit black.
I was at Duff's Garage last night for pop's gig and I see a 1973 Squareback roll up. Dude gets out and puts a for sale sign up in the window, and strolls up to the gig. It's turns out to be a friend of a friend and we get talking air-cooled VW. I told him I'm looking to sell my GTi or trade straight across for a nice running Square, cause I'd like to have the comfort of a sweet running, somewhat fast, gas sipping daily runner, room for my dog Wendy, and cruise the bus around on weekends and camping.
It's been painted black with red pin striping... lame. But the original color is blue, similar to my '71 bus. Stock motor, all fuel injection is still there and it looks to be pretty clean! Although I only saw it under the street lamp.
Very minimal rust, 'cept for the battery tray.
He's coming over tomorrow (Sunday) to check out the GTi, and I the Squareback. I will be taking plenty of pics to provide you guys with an idea of the overall condition.
FWIW, water cooled VW's really are not my thing. I'm not into the fast racing "scene" with turned hats and baggy pants...
My heart is in air-cooled VW's and they've been my daily driver ever since I got into the AC scene 5 years ago.
It's basically a win-win situation for us both, it's just too bad the car is painted black... :pukeleft:
Standby for some photos tomorrow.
I basically just wanted to get a little info, but I'll let you guys see the pics first.
Thanks!
Michael

:cheers:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:18 pm

I kind of wanted also to get a Square back and make it into a panel back.

But I'll stick with my Scirocco 2's!
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Thinking of trading my 1992 GTi for 1973 Squareback

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Maz804 wrote:But the original color is blue, it's just too bad the car is painted black... :pukeleft:
This is my original blue 1973 Squareback. You can always bring it back to blue. I did install a non-original white interior instead of that dark blue it came with.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Colin,
Would you happen to know the color code for that there SB?

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:32 pm

So I took some photos of the squareback today... Overall I believe it's in decent condition. There is some rust, at the battery tray and around the cable that pulls the flap for floor heating on the floorboard... Other than that, that body is really straight, the metal is solid, it runs and drives good, stopping... Needs a new master cylinder. Electricals are in good working order. Fuel injection... (!), I love the blue and think it would be sweet to have a blue bus and a blue squareback! I don't have money to buy a squareback, but I would much rather have a running project squareback than a running project GTi. And the dude is all about trading, so I think I might go for it. After all, it would be like trading a running project for a running project.
Might need to address a main seal oil leak.
Here are some photos. Please address any concerns you might see. Best to have a second opinion.
Thank you
Link to the flickr photo gallery here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37444294@N ... 229425583/

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 pm

The only things I see offhand that I'd have an issue with are the crappy muffler and the T-handle on that vintage copper Hurst shifter. Copper! Older than mine...

I'd plan to take up the tarboards, wire-wheel the piss out of the pans, patch where needed and POR-15 the works .. both sides. Solid T3 pans aren't easy to find, and Ghia pans aren't the same (tho you can make 'em work) so it's best to repair & treat what you've got. Cheaper and easier too...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Yeah Hal, I was thinking the exact same thing...
Take out all that carpet and tar boards and clean the $#!+ outta it! I already have a bunch of POR-15... PLUS it's in BETTER condition than the 1971 Campmobile I had AND 1979 Westy I had... And I LOVED those busses and brought those back to daily driving GLORY!
I really think I can give this squareback the attention it needs and bring it back to a good daily driver status, AND looking GOOD!
I've been waiting to get into a type 3... :bounce:
Now, how to strip the paint off that without taking off the original paint...
I did the same thing to my 1971 bus, but the primer had worn thin after 2 years... This stuff is about 2 months old!
:blackeye:

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:45 am

it's all about expectations and meeting those expectations.

If you plan on having this square as a daily driver and accept the fact that it isn't perfect, welllllllllll it sounds like a good deal.

Then again, you don't want to jump into a project that you won't be very satisfied in.

Knowing you.....I would say this is right up your ally.

-d
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Maz804 wrote:Hi Colin,
Would you happen to know the color code for that there SB?
L54D MarineBlau like your prospect. It looks great in the rain with a cozy white interior. . . . just sayin'

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

flatlander
I'm New!

Re: *UPDATE* 1992 GTi for 1973 Squareback? *pics*

Post by flatlander » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Hey Maz804, I just wanted to chime in to say nice find! That trade sounds like great timing.
Maz804 wrote:It's been painted black with red pin striping... lame.
Holy smokes! Even the eyelids are pin striped? Lame is right. Is it "sporty" to take off the bumpers too? It looks a little nekkid, I think.

-Melissa
(your neighbor in the orange '74 Westy at Maupin, wife of whc03grady)

PS Our other car is a '71 Squareback that a previous owner with a rattle can uglied up. No pin stripe though.