Pigalle Squareback?

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:44 am

hambone wrote:Aha! Marketing.
Yes, Hambone, marketing at it's finest. But it truly is s striking combination and I am a sucker...
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 am

Classic. Reminds me of James Bond. Shaken, not stirred. Blondes with beehives.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:04 pm

fancy pants wrote:I guess my biggest concern would be finding a replacement dash...
Yeah...that ain't gonna happen.

The vast majority of us have cracked dashes, just a way o' life for these cars. There are replacement, after-market dashes but they are a tad too short. The idiots who cast the mold must've found the dinkiest, most heat shrunk dash they could get their hands on :rolleyes: Oh, and they only come in black.
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:17 am

AirCooledNut wrote:
fancy pants wrote:I guess my biggest concern would be finding a replacement dash...
Yeah...that ain't gonna happen.

The vast majority of us have cracked dashes, just a way o' life for these cars. There are replacement, after-market dashes but they are a tad too short. The idiots who cast the mold must've found the dinkiest, most heat shrunk dash they could get their hands on :rolleyes: Oh, and they only come in black.
x2. That's why Pigalles are desirable - they're RARE. Supposedly dashes are repairable if not too far gone, and I woundn't be so quick to say that this one isn't salvagable. I know that both Tram and Jimmynotch have had good luck with repairs, but that was working in black. Red would be a new challenge. But they make vinyl repair kits in all colors...

I don't know. But the dash would have to be kept for the car to hold its value. I think I'd be more concerned about the overall state of the body, given the way that rocker looks. But if the car is basically sound and you've got the time and $$$, you could end up with a truly rare ride.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:20 am

Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately, it is all a moot point, as the seller has stopped responding to my inquiries. He responded quickly to the first round of questions, but when I began asking about the history of the vehicle, what restoration he had done, and what he feels still needs to be done, he dropped out of contact.

I would be really interested to find out more about why he stopped the restoration process, as he seemed pretty into it from the thread.

Oh well, it saved my 5K at least...
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:22 am

fancy pants wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback. Unfortunately, it is all a moot point, as the seller has stopped responding to my inquiries. He responded quickly to the first round of questions, but when I began asking about the history of the vehicle, what restoration he had done, and what he feels still needs to be done, he dropped out of contact.

I would be really interested to find out more about why he stopped the restoration process, as he seemed pretty into it from the thread.
In light of the fact that one could actually peer back into this car's history a bit, the owner's response (or lack thereof) does raise a bunch of interesting and unanswered questions.
Oh well, it saved my 5K at least...
The silver lining for this particular cloud.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:38 am

Perhaps it really isn't a Pigalle. Perhaps the current seller found out the hard way himself and is now trying to unload it onto another sucker. Suckers don't ask questions so he's stopped dealing with you. Take it as a compliment.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:45 am

Hiya Dick,
dtrumbo wrote:Perhaps it really isn't a Pigalle. Perhaps the current seller found out the hard way himself and is now trying to unload it onto another sucker......
Ya'know, that thought crossed my mind also.

But I'm thinking that with some the history of this car known and the prior intentions of the owner also known, it would take a lot of downright crass gall (not to mention a lack of ethics) to unload this car as a Pig if it's not.

Then again, stranger things have happened.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 am

If anybody is suggesting that the seller is aware that it isn't a Pigalle and is selling it as a Pigalle, you are jumping to a harsh conclusion way too quickly.

Here is the OG alert thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297539

Explains the carpet and shows the original condition when bought. Looks Like a Pigalle to me. You could probably PM Tram and see if he remembers what the asking price was.

Money is not speech.

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 am

I don't have any doubt that this is real.

The seller just got back to me - maybe he was away for the weekend. I sent him a few new questions and asked him to give me a call as well.

In the meantime, is there anyone in AZ who I may be able to bribe into checking this out for me??? I would be eternally grateful. Price negotiable :cyclopsani:
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 am

Hiya Meyer,
MeyerII wrote:If anybody is suggesting that the seller is aware that it isn't a Pigalle and is selling it as a Pigalle, you are jumping to a harsh conclusion way too quickly.
I don't think Dick or I are suggesting anything in particular. We really don't have information from the current owner. Since there is no information forthcoming (even "I found another buyer and sold it") we are left to speculate as to why the owner is not communicating.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:36 am

Whoops!

Never mind. We seem to be moving along again.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am

And talk to Tram about this. He's as knowledgeable about T3s as they come (although Tritessa seems to be right there with him), and from experience I know that he's always willing to help out.

If you do end up getting this, I won't envy the work you'll have ahead of you, but I will envy that Pigalle.

And of course, I think early T3s are a good investment right now. Split busses and Beetles seem to have found their upper ranges. DCs are also pretty much at top dollar. Ovals and later bugs are still affordable, but the supply is such that I don't see much happening there. Even Bays seem to have found an upper limit for now. But early T3s have potential: this is just a feeling, but I think they could start finding their upper limits in the next ten years or so.

Huh. Wonder if I know what I'm talking about there. That suggests a new topic in TS T3 forum...

Money is not speech.

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:51 am

MeyerII wrote:And talk to Tram about this. 
Just PM'd Tram.

I am still a bit leery about 2 things:

1. The amt of surface rust. Looks like the pan has been replaced, but not sure about body panels.
2. Still worried bout the condition of that dash.

I would feel alot better if I could get down there and check it out myself...
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:01 am

fancy pants wrote:
I would feel alot better if I could get down there and check it out myself...
I'd say if you are considering spending 5k. that a couple hundred in airline tickets would be a prudent investment.