I'm Baaaaaaack......

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

I'm Baaaaaaack......

Post by MeyerII » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:57 am

This time as a Type 3 guy. I sold my '63 camper around a year ago, have had some false starts, but have finally settled on my next car. It should be on its way from So. Cal. this week or early next week. Its a 1965 Squareback Model S Variant retro custom. And yes, before you ask, I plan on putting it back to a stock ride-height.

:lol:

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:51 am

Nice.. and I love that you're returning it back to its proper heighth!

Have a blast!!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:42 am

That ride is sweet! :cheers: Glad you're getting the height where it belongs. I wouldn't be surprised if the car breathes a sigh of relief after you've done that. :joker:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:07 am

zblair wrote:That ride is sweet! :cheers: Glad you're getting the height where it belongs. I wouldn't be surprised if the car breathes a sigh of relief after you've done that. :joker:
Thanks!

Well, I'll like it better. But to give credit where credit is due, the guy who restored it is an amazingly careful Type 3 guy - I've seen the 'before' pictures. He put a great deal of time into this one - used minimal filler where necessary and used the right filler for the job.

The other cars he's produced are ordinarily bone-stock, but he modded this one a little for personal taste. The nice thing about this is that Type 3's - unlike T1's or T2's doesn't require any real modification to adjust ride height. I don't fully understand it yet, but it apparently is mostly just a matter of adjustment (no narrowed beams, etc.). It does currently sport a pair of shortened axles, but he's sending along the originals.

I can't wait to start reading up on what to me is totally unfamiliar territory. Fortunately, I can count among my friends some of the most knowledgeable T3 guys in the business. We also have a weekly T3 get-together here in Seattle, and I'm also looking forward to spending some more time with those folks.

And I have inklinks of what's next - SINGLE WHEEL, BABY!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

Money is not speech.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:45 pm

MeyerII wrote: I can't wait to start reading up on what to me is totally unfamiliar territory. Fortunately, I can count among my friends some of the most knowledgeable T3 guys in the business. We also have a weekly T3 get-together here in Seattle, and I'm also looking forward to spending some more time with those folks.
Plus you know that Colin just updated his T3----->in our driveway for part of it. The fuel line (at least I thnk it's a fuel line) has a spring around it? That was one of the things Colin replaced (the woven hose looking thing) and I recognized it!

Tell ya what. If I had the coin I'd buy Colin's. LOVED it! That's an old CA tag too. They haven't made them black and gold for a long long time.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:43 pm

Nice car Meyer congrats. 8) If it were mine I'd leave it as is but that's just me. 8-[
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: I'm Baaaaaaack......

Post by tristessa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:09 pm

MeyerII wrote: Image
Holy crap, the plastic fuel pump cover, the elbow for the oil pressure sender, the early-style breather tower *and* the center-forward support for the dual-carb air cleaner .. even a stock (or at least correct-style) distributor. Either the guy has a good parts stash or spent time tracking that stuff down .. the fuel pump cover especially.

On the other hand, -1 point for the plug wires not having 90*deg ends at the distributor, and -1 point for the chokes not being wired up. :blackeye: I'd do something about the ride height, and please get rid of the 135 tires on the front. They lock up too easy for my liking, even on a 40HP/1200cc Bug with weenie front drums...

The short-axle conversion in the back was probably done to get clearance for the EMPI 5-spokes .. not sure. I know EMPI 8's have clearance issues on later T3's because of the offset being wrong.

Nice car though.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:52 am

MeyerII,
Welcome to the wonderful world of dual Solex PDSIT carbs, my special-l-l-l-lteeeeeee.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:dual Solex PDSIT carbs,
"DUAL" being the key word -- none of that carb-and-a-half, central-idle-system nonsense that VW used on the later Bays... :blackeye:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:57 pm

I like the Dutch license plate on the front.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:21 am

tristessa wrote: "DUAL" being the key word -- none of that carb-and-a-half, central-idle-system nonsense that VW used on the later Bays... :blackeye:
Yes, that elegant and simple and robust and flexible improvement to keep the superior Type 4 engine happy :flower:

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:48 am

covelo wrote:I like the Dutch license plate on the front.
+1

That's a beauty, for sure. You have re-kindled my desire to find a T3...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Yes, that elegant and simple and robust and flexible improvement to keep the superior Type 4 engine happy :flower:
Considering that fully-individual carbs were already being made in the Solex PDSIT line, it seems strange that they would spend the time and effort to engineer the central-idle arrangement in the 34PDSIT. It seems especially strange that they would do such a thing in light of the concurrently-produced EFI systems on the superior Type 4 engines being installed in the 411/412 and Porsche/VW 914.

While I'm sure my impression of the Bus 34's has been tainted by not having the opportunity to work with a set that hasn't been "improved" by previous "mechanics" who have removed various "unimportant" bits, I won't let that prevent me from throwing out a good-natured ribbing every now and then.

:flower:

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:40 pm

THANKS for the list, Tritessa. That is exactly the sort of advice I've been looking for.

=D>

Money is not speech.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:38 am

tristessa wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Yes, that elegant and simple and robust and flexible improvement to keep the superior Type 4 engine happy :flower:
Considering that fully-individual carbs were already being made in the Solex PDSIT line, it seems strange that they would spend the time and effort to engineer the central-idle arrangement in the 34PDSIT. It seems especially strange that they would do such a thing in light of the concurrently-produced EFI systems on the superior Type 4 engines being installed in the 411/412 and Porsche/VW 914.

While I'm sure my impression of the Bus 34's has been tainted by not having the opportunity to work with a set that hasn't been "improved" by previous "mechanics" who have removed various "unimportant" bits, I won't let that prevent me from throwing out a good-natured ribbing every now and then.

:flower:
The dual Solex central idling-equipped carbs have been successfully used on Type 4 engines the world wide for many years past our little American three year stint. Not everyone in the big old world with a Type 4 engine could afford the injection we had to use to pass emissions. So anyways, the central idling circuit allows great flexibility.
Colin