Am I crazy?

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:10 am

Good to know. I'm on the type 3 e-mail list too.

Colin, I knew you had a squareback but wasn't sure if you considered yourself an expert.

I'll be going to look at the car this w/e. If I like what I see I'll probably have it delivered the following weekend.

Let's get this forum buzzing a bit. There seems to be a similar community in the type 3 world as in the bus world. Not quite as hippy but still a community. The Beetle scene kind of sucks. The type 1 list on here is slow and the late model list on T/S its totally agressive. Reminds me of the locker room when the wrestlers were in there in high school. :pain10:
I just wanna fix my car.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:59 pm

jeromeaircooled wrote: Let's get this forum buzzing a bit.
As you travel the internet, be an Itinerant Air-Cooled Ambassador, offer a link to the site. Also, out in the real world be alert to air-cooled VW people. I just met a prospective member today, driving her new-to-her '78 Beetle convertible (ran out of gas), and she now has the site address scribbled on a piece of paper.

When I get the Squareback out of storage later this summer, it is going to do some of the Itinerary. I will update here and . . . . elsewhere, its travel manners to help generate some responses. They are fun plucky cars.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:55 pm

If I can ever get my plate cleared of enough other crap that I can finally get *working* on my Fastback I'll be more active in here. Poor car has been mostly hibernating for the last .. sheesh, going on four years now. Which sucks, it's a pretty car and I'd like to get it running while the original owner (who was a friend of my mother-in-law) is still walking this mortal coil.

I did build an engine for it winter before last, made up of 90% (plus or minus) lightly used parts I scavenged from the DDB shop when I was working there, and I even got as far as hanging the engine in the car .. but don't have any induction system on there. I either need to scrounge up a set of "stock" 32PDSIT carburators for it, or find a non-fscked-with manifold pressure sensor and a non-butchered injection wiring harness for the D-jetronic. Or say "screw it all" and put a Subaru engine in there just to piss everyone off. :geek:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeromeaircooled » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:16 am

I think Notchboy on the Samba has an injection system. If you can deal with him. I see them in the classifieds over there occasionally. You know, we've got a mechanic in our area who works specifically on ACVW's. He's great for parts but hates FI. I bet he's got a few he's ripped off of customers cars hanging around. Let me know if/when you're interested. He would be especially willing since the injection system would be going out of the area. He would never see it again.
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge