71 Fastback with Auto Transmission Engine Install

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rambleonrosebud
I'm New!

71 Fastback with Auto Transmission Engine Install

Post by rambleonrosebud » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:04 pm

Hello all!

I'm a bus guy but I have been rebuilding a Type 3 fastback. The motor is all ready to go back in. It has an automatic transmission that I initially intended to swap for a manual, but after reading about the conversion process, I've decided to leave it automatic.

Is there anything special I need to do when re-installing the motor with the automatic transmission? How do I keep the torque converter full as I install the motor? I remember it was a waterfall of ATF when I removed the motor for rebuild.

Never messed with an automatic transmission before, so sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 71 Fastback with Auto Transmission Engine Install

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:53 am

rambleonrosebud wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:04 pm
Hello all!

I'm a bus guy but I have been rebuilding a Type 3 fastback. The motor is all ready to go back in. It has an automatic transmission that I initially intended to swap for a manual, but after reading about the conversion process, I've decided to leave it automatic.

Is there anything special I need to do when re-installing the motor with the automatic transmission? How do I keep the torque converter full as I install the motor? I remember it was a waterfall of ATF when I removed the motor for rebuild.

Never messed with an automatic transmission before, so sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks!
Transmission /torque converter remain as a unit. Some use bungee to hold torque converter until the last second.
Colin
( I am so late, that I welcome an update "yeah, it has 13,400 miles on it already." )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles