New Owner, 70' Fasty

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New Owner, 70' Fasty

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

wdollie6 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am
Won't be any worse than the "professional" who welded on Fatboy...

Good God, you could down a case of Genny and a couple of Jack Daniels shots, snort a few lines for a pick-me-up, pop a few pills and mainline some meth, spin in circles with your forehead pressed on a baseball bat, puke, slam down several expressos and totally do a better job.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 am

True, maybe we'll leave the Genny off the list however. Screamers (used to be green can vs. the Red Eye) were never good to me when I was a teenager, although I understand that the current generation believes it is a "new" craft beer, go figure.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 am
True, maybe we'll leave the Genny off the list however. Screamers (used to be green can vs. the Red Eye) were never good to me when I was a teenager, although I understand that the current generation believes it is a "new" craft beer, go figure.

Fastbacks, this is about Fastbacks, but yeah no I would never drink that stuff. Heineken, good nuff for a youngster, today, in a pinch, I'll do Dos Equis. Fastbacks.
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Okay, have begun to tear into the engine compartment, removed and painted everything possible (without pulling engine) while checking various devices for functionality, mostly by cleaning and checking resistance. Also replacing all fuel hoses and replacing with appropriate hose along with proper fuel injection clamps. Pictures at some point.

A question with regards to the throttle position/valve switch, it appears and is confirmed by Bentley that by removing the two mounting screws top and bottom, the switch should simply pull off the shaft, no such luck. I have learned over the years (finally) that one shouldn't force the issue without verifying the procedure as sometimes the Bentley fails to mention certain steps. I removed the four screws and pulled the cover off and was awed by the complexity and the cleanliness, put the cover back on as it wasn't obvious that it was a necessary step for removal. Didn't want to destroy anything needlessly.

If someone can enlighten me that would be great as i would like to finish this step. In reality could leave it in place and move on but would like to take a look at the internals so I can better understand the function. Fuel injection is very intriguing.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Injectors .jpg
Injectors .jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 16326 times
injector rear.jpg
injector rear.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 16326 times
injector front.jpg
injector front.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 16326 times
Looking for feedback on these injectors. They all click with applied voltage and resistances are all in the 2.6 to 2.7 ohm range. The question is does the rust create problems especially with sealing when installed. Oh and somewhat strange is that the front two had yellow pintle ends, rear were black, any issue?

Thanks.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm
If someone can enlighten me that would be great as i would like to finish this step.
Have the screws barely snug. Rotate the switch until your multimeter shows "switching" from inf to "0" or "0" to inf when called-for. Snug screws then check above with movement of the throttle lever.

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm
The question is does the rust create problems especially with sealing when installed. Oh and somewhat strange is that the front two had yellow pintle ends, rear were black, any issue?
Clean the rust off.

Injectors are color-matched to their firing partner. The plugs on an OEM wiring harness are likewise color matched.
Unlike the group fire L-Jet on the buses, the D-Jet fires pairs.
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 am

Finally a little more time with the Fasty, at least in spurts. Reassembled the engine, fuel injection components and new fuel hose throughout, along with an NOS harness (old had broken wires everywhere). Recharged a known good battery, turned the key and .... nothing. After a quick look at the starter underneath determined that I had knocked off one of the wires on the starter while routing the fuel line, easy fix. Tried again, starter worked fine, relay under rear seat clicked as required but unfortunately nothing at the fuel pump relay, nothing!

So looked at schematic and decided that I didn't remember hooking #19 wire from the FI harness to the main harness, yup hanging their with nothing attached. The replacement FI harness had the connection but the main harness had been chopped. Opened up the sleeve on the harness and their was the gray wire. Re-terminated and connected to #19, tried starter again and got the click at the power relay followed by a click at the fuel pump relay, but no fuel pump. I'm wondering if they took the ground from the fuel pump wiring and ran it to a switch, there is one under the dash, to manually complete the grounding. Out of time now but will check later today. Taking Fatboy out for a spin as just changed spark plugs to see if this eliminates a hesitation/stutter issue, what a PIA (although after going through it for first time since the engine was in the car, found some techniques that make it a lot easier)!

Will update once I check ground from fuel pump connection.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am

Nice methodical diagnosing! I’m sure you’ll lick the pump issue soon.

I see a ton of people in the Type 3 world that run some “fuel pump primer” system hacked into the wiring to prime after a long sit. I don’t know if anyone ever explained to them that you can just ground one of the T1 connectors in the engine compartment, but that’s a much more elegant and less intrusive way to prime your D-Jet VW....

Good luck with the car!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am
Nice methodical diagnosing!
this ^
asiab3 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am
I see a ton of people in the Type 3 world that run some “fuel pump primer” system hacked into the wiring to prime after a long sit. I don’t know if anyone ever explained to them that you can just ground one of the T1 connectors in the engine compartment, but that’s a much more elegant and less intrusive way to prime your D-Jet VW....
Robbie

The factory ECU primes the pump for a second and a half. After a year's sit, I will cycle the key on/off a couple of times, then start ... if it feels like it.
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Good news, the new E2000 pump is so quiet I couldn't hear it with my SONOS blasting. In a noiseless garage the 1 to 2 second whir was distinct at the key on position; first a click at power relay, then click at fuel pump relay, followed by the short whir. Very confusing as to why the previous owner cut the gray wire in the main harness, wtdh? My only thought is that they had a broken #19 wire in the old harness, the new harness I installed solved the problem. Still leaves the question of the strange toggle switch, will leave that for a future investigation.

Tomorrow will be the big day for the initial start on fuel injection, hoping that I will at least get it started and running, wonder what the odds of that are as it hasn't been run since 1994 (told to me by the PO). Although Colin had it running last fall for a bit (non FI). We quit after Colin was covered with mice droppings and nesting materials. Hoping for a little longer run this time... and less debris.

Will update at some point tomorrow, trying not to be overly optimistic.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:21 am

As usual things didn't go as planned, realized after checking my notes that I hadn't changed the oil or adjusted the valves. Oil screen area was clean of any debris or shavings with no signs for concern, probably would have been okay to use the oil but changed it anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the drivers side valve cover, see below:
Driver Valves.gif
Driver Valves.gif (1.15 MiB) Viewed 15144 times
Passenger side was same way, pristine. Not sure how or why but these look newish! Valves had small gaps but were all too tight, probably around .004, as I couldn't get the .006 in. Adjusted accordingly, no surprises other than one had to be removed entirely to loosen the nut from the stud (no damage to threads, a little lubricant and all was good).

So hopefully today at some point will be able to start it, projects keep getting in the way.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:00 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:21 am
As usual things didn't go as planned, realized after checking my notes that I hadn't changed the oil or adjusted the valves. Oil screen area was clean of any debris or shavings with no signs for concern, probably would have been okay to use the oil but changed it anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the drivers side valve cover, see below:

Driver Valves.gif

Passenger side was same way, pristine. Not sure how or why but these look newish! Valves had small gaps but were all too tight, probably around .004, as I couldn't get the .006 in. Adjusted accordingly, no surprises other than one had to be removed entirely to loosen the nut from the stud (no damage to threads, a little lubricant and all was good).

So hopefully today at some point will be able to start it, projects keep getting in the way.

That looks promising. Is there an exhaust valve adjusting screw there, sticking out by more threads than its neighbors?
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm

This was a pre-adjustment picture but I will check, is there some tolerance to consider (+ or - a thread) or should they all be identical?

Wayne
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:32 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm
This was a pre-adjustment picture but I will check, is there some tolerance to consider (+ or - a thread) or should they all be identical?

Wayne
AFTER your adjustment, if a screw sticks out more than a thread or two than its neighbors, it is strongly suggesting seat recession.
Colin

wdollie6
Addicted!

Post by wdollie6 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Well thats not good. Will have to monitor, see how it progresses, engine will eventually be coming out once i have sheet metal work semi-complete.
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback