Fuel Pump Markings

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jaffa
I'm New!

Fuel Pump Markings

Post by Jaffa » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:47 am

I understand there is a publication which references the "VW" markings on pierburg mechanical pumps. ie VW6 = Type 3, VW7 = Beetle. Does anyone have this and can post it up or send it to me?
I have a 1970 Fastback and brought a second hand oem pump labelled VW7. I just want to understand the types and specifications of the various pumps. I am getting a 111 198 555 kit to rebuild it.

Cheers,
Craig
Craig

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Fuel Pump Markings

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:59 am

Isn't the VW7 one of the Pierburg square-top pumps? I think the Type 3's used the round-top pumps with a slightly higher
output pressure rating. Unless the rebuild kit you're getting is a NOS one, you may want to reconsider:
viewtopic.php?p=210010#p210010
There are also several threads over on thesamba.com, late bug and bay bus forums, about the horribleness of the currently available rebuild kits.

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:59 am

Thanks Kreemoweet. All becomes clear now and I have the wrong pump. Also the seller gave me the wrong kit but is replacing it. I'll have to check the pressure when I rebuild it. I did notice that there are sub-standard parts in the kit I did get. I'll try to use as many OE parts as possible.

By the way what book are those pages from?

Cheers
Craig

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:54 pm

The page came from one of the VW service docs, but I don't know which one. There was a series of booklets called "Without Guesswork" and
another called "Progressive Refinements" or some such, and someone posted it on one of the VW forums. Might be buried somewhere in
thesamba.com's huge stash of VW literature.

If your rebuild doesn't work out, there's this guy standing by, ready to make things right: http://www.vintagewerks.com/Fuel%20Pump ... ation.html

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks Kreemoweet. Without Guesswork is over on The Samba. I have it now. I notice the later VW6 pumps are rated as 5.0psi.
Craig