New Owner, 70' Fasty

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New Owner, 70' Fasty

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

wdollie6 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 am
Won't be any worse than the "professional" who welded on Fatboy...

Good God, you could down a case of Genny and a couple of Jack Daniels shots, snort a few lines for a pick-me-up, pop a few pills and mainline some meth, spin in circles with your forehead pressed on a baseball bat, puke, slam down several expressos and totally do a better job.
Colin

BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . . 111,155 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,820 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 108,000 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 78,885 miles

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 am

True, maybe we'll leave the Genny off the list however. Screamers (used to be green can vs. the Red Eye) were never good to me when I was a teenager, although I understand that the current generation believes it is a "new" craft beer, go figure.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 am
True, maybe we'll leave the Genny off the list however. Screamers (used to be green can vs. the Red Eye) were never good to me when I was a teenager, although I understand that the current generation believes it is a "new" craft beer, go figure.

Fastbacks, this is about Fastbacks, but yeah no I would never drink that stuff. Heineken, good nuff for a youngster, today, in a pinch, I'll do Dos Equis. Fastbacks.
Colin

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Okay, have begun to tear into the engine compartment, removed and painted everything possible (without pulling engine) while checking various devices for functionality, mostly by cleaning and checking resistance. Also replacing all fuel hoses and replacing with appropriate hose along with proper fuel injection clamps. Pictures at some point.

A question with regards to the throttle position/valve switch, it appears and is confirmed by Bentley that by removing the two mounting screws top and bottom, the switch should simply pull off the shaft, no such luck. I have learned over the years (finally) that one shouldn't force the issue without verifying the procedure as sometimes the Bentley fails to mention certain steps. I removed the four screws and pulled the cover off and was awed by the complexity and the cleanliness, put the cover back on as it wasn't obvious that it was a necessary step for removal. Didn't want to destroy anything needlessly.

If someone can enlighten me that would be great as i would like to finish this step. In reality could leave it in place and move on but would like to take a look at the internals so I can better understand the function. Fuel injection is very intriguing.

wdollie6
Getting Hooked!

Post by wdollie6 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Injectors .jpg
Injectors .jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 236 times
injector rear.jpg
injector rear.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 236 times
injector front.jpg
injector front.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 236 times
Looking for feedback on these injectors. They all click with applied voltage and resistances are all in the 2.6 to 2.7 ohm range. The question is does the rust create problems especially with sealing when installed. Oh and somewhat strange is that the front two had yellow pintle ends, rear were black, any issue?

Thanks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm
If someone can enlighten me that would be great as i would like to finish this step.
Have the screws barely snug. Rotate the switch until your multimeter shows "switching" from inf to "0" or "0" to inf when called-for. Snug screws then check above with movement of the throttle lever.

wdollie6 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm
The question is does the rust create problems especially with sealing when installed. Oh and somewhat strange is that the front two had yellow pintle ends, rear were black, any issue?
Clean the rust off.

Injectors are color-matched to their firing partner. The plugs on an OEM wiring harness are likewise color matched.
Unlike the group fire L-Jet on the buses, the D-Jet fires pairs.
Colin