Super or Standard

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Re: Super or Standard

Post by IFBwax » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 pm

I had a 71 super I drove in high school and much of college. I loved that baby. It was my brother's and he gave it to me, then I gave it back then he gave it to his father in law who then SOLD IT!@@@ Bummer. It was red orange and my Dad had a '71 pale yellow one. I'd give my eye teeth for either of them now. I want to get a beetle convert someday as my next project.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 pm

IFBwax wrote:I had a 71 super I drove in high school and much of college. I loved that baby. It was my brother's and he gave it to me, then I gave it back then he gave it to his father in law who then SOLD IT!@@@ Bummer. It was red orange and my Dad had a '71 pale yellow one. I'd give my eye teeth for either of them now. I want to get a beetle convert someday as my next project.
Get it now, Wayne.
Of all the people on Earth who I would trust to care for an air-cooled Volkswagen so we can enjoy them into the future, it is you. I would have loved to swing Mike's bug, a sweetheart of an autostick in great condition minus front end hit . . . but I am streeeeeeeeeetched too thin.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I probably will this summer. I have a friend who has some garage space and $$ and know how so we're going to split it. Just have to find the right one. So keep your eyes open for me everyone!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm about 32 hours into restoring a '72 Super for a customer right now. She bought it brand new in '72, and has loved it ever since. So I guess that's a positive commentary. I'll post a few pics when I'm done.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 pm

DjEep wrote:I'm about 32 hours into restoring a '72 Super for a customer right now. She bought it brand new in '72, and has loved it ever since. So I guess that's a positive commentary. I'll post a few pics when I'm done.
I want a classic stock blue 1969 standard beetle with white interior. Now.
I only have seven cars and none of them are anywhere near me.
Colin :dark1:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 am

All it takes is money! :tongue: (and apparently for you, Colin, a warehouse). The tab from the paint/body shop alone was almost $4k, and I did all the disassembly and am in the process of reassembly. Every piece of body rubber and trim has been replaced, save for the OG chrome stripes and VW emblem, new bumpers, new chrome window piping (which is a finger killing PITA!) and rebuilt sunroof (well almost, still kinda fighting that battle).

In any event, all the work and money is worth it, I'm sure, seeing as she's had the dang thing for 40 years. One couldn't get an entirely new car for the money she spent on it in the first place and the money she's spending now, combined, that would last a quarter as long, and now it will probably outlast her.

Go bugs!

Oh, and I'll get right on that, C.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 am

DjEep wrote:new chrome window piping (which is a finger killing PITA!)
When you said "piping" my heart skipped, because the following question is important to me:

"Piping" in an upholstery application is a flexible edge bead. VW used chrome "piping" starting I think in 1973 for window trim. The TBRBobD is a 78 bus with original chrome "piping" that is beginning to brown. If you had a source (a "bead" <pun yuckyuck) for the flexible plastic chrome, it would make my day.
Go ahead . . . make my day, punk.
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Nyuk nyuk, Yes drill seargant! If by "piping", you mean the chrome whatever that goes in the window seals of deluxe buses and some beetles, we got it from WolfsburgWest. Dunno if they have the bus stuff.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:43 pm

A '72 Super Beetle was my first ACVW, and another was my 2nd. I drove one or the other of them as my every day daily driver for five years in the late 80's / early 90's (until the busses got me!).

I still kick myself for selling the easter-egg blue one. That was a nice riding car with a good reliable engine. The difference between standard and super never seemed much to me.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:45 pm

DjEep wrote:Nyuk nyuk, Yes drill seargant! If by "piping", you mean the chrome whatever that goes in the window seals of deluxe buses and some beetles, we got it from WolfsburgWest. Dunno if they have the bus stuff.
You understand, I am not talking about the pre-shaped anodized aluminum trim that you have to hook into the rubber, but rather the plastic rolls! of "chrome trim" that are pressed directly in straight slots in the later rubber.

If I cannot find the "plastic rolls" of chrome trim, I have to replace all the rubber in the BobD with the hooked style rubber and buy all the aluminum trim.
Colin :silent:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:30 pm

ahhhhh. I see, said the blind man. Nope, just the shaped-hooked-aluminum. Windows are fun though! A couple hand cramps stretching the seals, a few brews with the guys for their help, then shove, pull, pick, boom! Hopefully boom, not craaaack.