Why you should do it yourself.

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

pj
Addicted!

Why you should do it yourself.

Post by pj » Sat May 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Just dropped the engine in the Thing. Whilst doing it I learned that the last shop that I took it to neglected to reinstall the top bolt on the upper left side (behind # 3). So my question is. Does that bolt have a specific part # or do I just mosey down to Discount Import Parts on Tuesday and ask for that bolt?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Re: Why you should do it yourself.

Post by steve74baywin » Sat May 28, 2011 6:35 pm

It isn't a special part, but it is getting harder to find a place that has a good selection of metric bolts.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat May 28, 2011 6:58 pm

I find junkyards are a great place to replace those sorts of things. I'm after other stuff, usually, but I always have a little list in mind of things I need like bolts, nuts and so on.

Many of the European cars of similar vintage use similar parts. I know the Volvo 240 series uses Bosch stuff all over the place. Relays and whatnot. They also have a Bosch 90amp alt in the Turbos/AC models that might well be a drop-in for the later (Bus & vanagon range) engines.

Best,

Mike

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat May 28, 2011 7:26 pm

I want to say they use one of these....

Bolt is a 10mm x70mm long.
79 VW Bus

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Whafo you be pulling the engine?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Sat May 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Replacing the original transmission mounts, rear "weather strip" and a general cleanup of the compartment.
A new clutch cable is in, maybe some new plugs while it's out, a general cleanup on the motor and we should be good for the summer season.

I replaced the pedal assembly last week after the original fatigued out and broke at the clutch pedal, so I hope when all is said and done, it will be said and done.

BTW Neal I may give you a call to come help reinstall one weekend day. My wife and gravity helped take it out, she's unsure of her abilities to put it back in. I'm sure I can roust up some canned peach preserves, pear sauce and jelly,dill pickles and perhaps have dinner for you and Sheryl as payment.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Let me know. I'll be up in Amboy under bus and ghia myself until I head back to work Thursday. Tie rod ends, exhaust, drum brakes, heater cables, that and this and this and that here and there.

Glad to hear the engine isn't out for anything major. Wait a minute, engine mounts? Whatchya talkin' 'bout pj.

neal

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 am

They mount in the bell housing, where the engine meets. Mine looked to be original and were probably a third of the size of the new ones.

http://www.thethingshop.com/prodinfo.as ... =113301263

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Thing specific?

neal

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Sun May 29, 2011 3:07 pm

I don't think so, because this part is a 113 beetle part while Thing specific parts begin with 181.
On the whole there are only I'd imagine 25% Thing specific parts, the rest coming from
throughout the various other cars.
For example I just got some 72 Beetle high back seats that slide right on the tracks I have.
This should make for a more comfortable ride and all I need to do is transfer the seat warmers
I put into the old seats in and we should be good to go.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:19 am

someone is getting better at replacing that "4th bolt" as I call it. Last two engines removed had it in place! It's not hard to remove or install and I'm not sure why it gets overlooked.

how about those people who forget to put all the tin back on. Annoying.
1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work