My New '65

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

My New '65

Post by Vdubtech » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I saw an ad pop up on my local craigslist yesterday morning for a '65 Bug that runs and drives for $2K.....I emailed the owner and he got right back to me and over a few exchanges I decided to drive out there and check it out. Well, I bought it. I was able to get him down a bit on the price though I think it was definitely worth the $2K he was asking, probably a little more. So here it is, a '65 Bug with a slightly narrowed beam with adjusters and 2.5" drop spindles. Rear is lowered a bit as well. 1200cc engine starts on the first revolution and sounds really nice. Needs new tailpipes but only for cosmetic reasons. The car came out of NC and it's fairly solid though there are a few patches on the rear of the pans. Fairly well done, it'll do for now and I'll replace them over the winter. All of the electrical (converted to 12V) works as it should. Interior is ok but a carpet kit and a headliner would really spruce it up. The only things I wanna do right away are to put running boards on it and most likely the bumpers. We have to run 2 license plates here in NY and it's tough without something to attach it to. There's some bondo here and there but overall it's well worth what I paid for it. The accelerator cable broke yesterday at my hands and the owner said he would replace it for me, ordered the cable today. I could do it, sure....but if he really wants to, who am I to argue? Brakes are new all around though they definitely need to be adjusted. I went out today and paid for it and did the paperwork then I went and registered it. I can't even begin to tell you how much working at the DMV changes this whole process. It's a breeze....and I don't even have to wait in line. I plan to pick the car up Saturday afternoon to give him a chance to replace the accelerator cable. He's throwing in a shitload of spare parts.....doors, fenders, a 1500 single port, engine lids, engine lids....he's unloading it all because he's moving. I have a correct oil bath air cleaner for a '65 that I'll be installing before I drive it home. Crossing my fingers for a trouble free ride home....here she is:

I took this as a good sign as we turned onto the road where the car is...

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Vdubtech wrote:Image
What happens if the pin is pulled? I HAD to ask! I love that Bug! Good find, but heck you find them all!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I'll let you know when I rip that thing outta there. I can't think of something more awkward to have in your hand and try to shift with. Ok....maybe I can but that's neither here nor there, it's goin.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Vdubtech wrote:I can't think of something more awkward to have in your hand and try to shift with. Ok....maybe I can but that's neither here nor there
See, with something like that you're supposed to grab the shaft under the knob and give it a yank. Yanking the knob directly is uncomfortable and doesn't work very well. You could also make the shaft longer -- I've seen that, usually stretched just enough that the knob is visible through the windshield. Probably with a shorter throw and/or a bend in the shaft so the knob doesn't go *through* the windshield when you slam the shaft around.

.. what? I'm talking about the shifter!

:flower:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 am

I think you may have a habit...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

TexasAirCooler
Getting Hooked!

Post by TexasAirCooler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Nice score, I like that color blue.
Terry

'65 bus • restore project

"Heroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm

cool bug!

lots of potential without much work needed all things considered.