Type 1 forum virgin....kids car seat question...

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Type 1 forum virgin....kids car seat question...

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:38 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:
poptop tom wrote:
hambone wrote:Only a bigger trunk.
And windshield?
That's not so Super.... :scratch:
It is WAAY Super. It was to the Beetle as New Coke was to Coke. :blackeye:

MacPherson Strut Coil Spring Front Suspension was a Super development in 1971.
In 1973, that curved windshield helped to reduce the Beetle Claustrophobia Syndrome.

It was actually a pretty good handling car when the suspension was fresh.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:56 am

I am looking in to beetles, but what we REALLY want is our old Westy back! Why oh why did I let it go. I think I expected I would be able to pick up another one that needed a a minor facelift for around the same cost as I bought mine for originally - HA! Beetles seem to be priced a bit more closer to reality.

Regrets abound..... stupid stupid stupid
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 am

Amskeptic wrote: MacPherson Strut Coil Spring Front Suspension was a Super development in 1971.
In 1973, that curved windshield helped to reduce the Beetle Claustrophobia Syndrome.

Colin
Yeah, except for the harmonic shimmy which kicked in around 50 mph that no one seemed able to figure out.

And the "modern" dashboard that came with the curved windshield didn't say "Beetle" to me at all. :pukeright:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:24 am

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: MacPherson Strut Coil Spring Front Suspension was a Super development in 1971.

Colin
Yeah, except for the harmonic shimmy which kicked in around 50 mph that no one seemed able to figure out.

And the "modern" dashboard that came with the curved windshield didn't say "Beetle" to me at all. :pukeright:

When the suspension was fresh, I said, when the suspension was fresh. I have dealt with loose Macpherson strut front ends, and they did not have very good damping in the steering. Nor do 90% of all wheel balancers actually pay attention to a precise application of wheel weights. And there was an idler bushing set-up on the recirculating ball steering box systems that was "problematic". When VW switched to rack and pinion in 1975, you got the nice bump steer shimmy tramp as the rack lost friction.

I remember the 1973 Super Beetle at the local dealer showroom, surrounded by all things brand new Volkswageny, and I liked the additional interior space up there, and I thought they did a good job with the windshield shape now looking like part of the VW family.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles