Gypsie Bug

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Gypsie wrote:-Seat belt setup that doesn't make you want to scream every time the buckle falls between the seat and center tube on the floor..

Shift linkage components are sloppy (ie it does not want to go back down from 3rd to 2nd) and I have to try several times to get it into 2nd as it wanders to 4th 4 of 5 times. Probl'y the bushing and linkage under the back seat. Bought the bushing and just need time.

One of them being the front strut mount at the wheel well. Pretty deep rust near the mounting bolts in that area..
Front strut TOWER (part of the unibody), not the mount (part of the strut). That's a structural area, don't be messin' around with fiberglass trying to patch things up; gotta cut it back to solid metal and weld new material in. Yes it's a lot of work, no it's not easy. Been There Done That.

More than likely your shifting issue comes from the shift coupler under the back seat, though the shift rod bushing in the tunnel just behind the shift lever has an effect and is also shot by now. As long as the cage of the coupler isn't distorted, replace the rubber pieces with new -- the new cages are a crapshoot .. mostly on the side of crap.

Seat belts, there should be a hook on the B-pillar to hang the latches from when they're not in use. Or (option B) pick up a set of retractable belts and brackets. VW went to inertia-reel belts in '73 for the US market and I do see them in the wrecking yards every now & then. Get just the brackets if you find a set, use newer (or new) belts for safety, and be aware that Type 3 brackets are different than Type 1 .. and therefore won't work for you.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Hiya Gypsy,

Oh yeah............trust Spiffy.

He knows what he's talking about with reference to kiefernet. I too have used keith and he will provide you with a rebushed/rebuilt original German Solex. No shady Bocar or Brosol stuff.

Your original carburetor was a 34PICT3 and the VW parts number for your particular model of the 34PICT3 was 113 129 031K. The flange number was 325-2 (assuming yours was a Federal car). If you hit Keith with that information, he may very well have that carb body.

And best of all, his price will be less that a new knock-off. You really ought to hit him up. Tell him Spiffy and Bookwus sent ya.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:20 am

Keth's Carbs are the Best!!!
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:49 am

anybody have an opinion about this guy. Take a look at he 34pict3. Looks decent. $159 for a rebuilt with hand made bronze bushings. Three days and it's in the mail to you:

http://carbjunkys.biz/

still building up the war che$t for a new (or rebuilt) carb.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 am

Haven't heard of him, but if he screws you, you can always have Sylvester go put the hurt on him!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Hiya Gypsy,

I have talked to a couple of folks who have done business with Carbjunkys. They were quite satisfied.

Cheaper and better from Keith though.

I'm just saying.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:08 pm

I have not contacted Keith yet as I have not gethered all the info he is wanting (Flange #s?)

I will sent him what I have and see what he says.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Hiya S,

Yep, flange number. All 34PICT3 (original Solexes) have 'em. Yours should be what I listed above in a previous post.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Gypsie wrote:I have not contacted Keith yet as I have not gethered all the info he is wanting (Flange #s?)

I will sent him what I have and see what he says.
If you want to save some coin I will have my keith rebuilt 30 pict available for loan in a few weeks. I doubt you will notice the difference between a 34 and a 30 in a SP bug (or bus for that matter). Or the one Ruckman has is yours if you want it, it works great as well. If I hear anyone say that yer engine will explode and run like a mule with a 30 pict I'm gonna smack em upside the head. They work reeeeeeally well, as does the 34 but if a free carb is staring at you I would take it and never look back.

If anyone wants to debate the performance difference between the 30 and 34's feel free, I will readily concede the point that you may have 1 more horsepower with the 34. In other words WHOOPTYFREEEEEKINDOO

:geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Dual port for the Happy Lemon. Mr. Sunshine, pilot.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am

hambone wrote:Dual port for the Happy Lemon. Mr. Sunshine, pilot.
Huh? Is there something you are trying to tell us?

At this point I am making a list of things that need attention and the carb is the first item.

I think that Ruckman was offering to hand over Spiffs 34 though I did not make the necessary arrangements to hook up with him. He lives in the bowels of a TV station or out in the outback snuggling with his sweetcake. Hoping he will come to a Lab gathering....hint hint. I'll buy you a beer or three
I don't want to pull from his bug project though. Neal, tell me straight...do you think you will use that carb?

kiefernet has a great price for a german 34 dipped in Kieth love. I'm pondering it.

My current one has shot bushings. My plan is to get one to put in (rebuilt or...) and work on the other one. I have been looking around at the rebushing process and would attempt it if I had an extra carb.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:25 am

The "hobo" carb is a 30/31.

All this talk about DP and I ain't gonna hang around you guys anymore :cyclopsani: Especially from called Mr. lemon sunshine, sounds too much like sun-don't shine. I'm kicking my soap home thankyouverymuch.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 am

Hiya S,

If you wanna use Spiffy's 30/31 and if Neal can give it up (he probably can - he has another 30/31 from me) you'll need an adaptor plate to fit it to your dual port manifold. And it just so happens that I've got a couple of adaptor plates.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 am

Dual Port manifolds. Geesh.
The Happy Lemon = 1972 super
Mr. Sunshine = Gypsie
You guys gotta lay off the fumes.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Indeed, both are languishing. I'll bring them down to the Lab Monday, 2/26.

neal

Gypsie wrote:
hambone wrote:Dual port for the Happy Lemon. Mr. Sunshine, pilot.
Huh? Is there something you are trying to tell us?

At this point I am making a list of things that need attention and the carb is the first item.

I think that Ruckman was offering to hand over Spiffs 34 though I did not make the necessary arrangements to hook up with him. He lives in the bowels of a TV station or out in the outback snuggling with his sweetcake. Hoping he will come to a Lab gathering....hint hint. I'll buy you a beer or three
I don't want to pull from his bug project though. Neal, tell me straight...do you think you will use that carb?

kiefernet has a great price for a german 34 dipped in Kieth love. I'm pondering it.

My current one has shot bushings. My plan is to get one to put in (rebuilt or...) and work on the other one. I have been looking around at the rebushing process and would attempt it if I had an extra carb.
The slipper has no teeth.