79 Super Beetle Cooling

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jimmy Jet
I'm New!

79 Super Beetle Cooling

Post by Jimmy Jet » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 pm

I have just revived our 79 Super Beetle after a long siesta. (18 years of sitting) We have replaced the fuel tank and flushed the fuel system. Four new fuel injectors and ran the engine briefly and changed oil. The Beetle has been garaged but HAS sat for a long time.
I drove the Bug for approximately 2 to three miles and it is running better as it goes further. BUT ,, I notice that it seems like it is WARM and smells like it may be hotter than normal.. Is there any measures that we have forgotten to take for a Bug that has sat this long.? We have done the tune up items... valves, points, plugs, condenser and timing. Also, is there a way of checking the Fan within the shroud to make sure it is providing ample cooling?

Jimmy.
Jimmy Jet

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: 79 Super Beetle Cooling

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 am

How do you know if a mouse nest or mud daubers is not clogging up the cooling system?
79 VW Bus

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 am

Agreed. Take the Shroud and tins off, I'm sure you will find a mouse nest.. or Worse!
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:25 am

is all the tin in place?

Before removing the shroud etc.. I would get one of those cheap meat thermometers with a long probe and stick it in the dip stick hole so you can get a better idea of what the temps are. id think anything above 230 F is too hot.

The smell might just be old junk and deposits burning off.
60 beetle
78 bus

Jimmy Jet
I'm New!

Post by Jimmy Jet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks for the ideas ,, am on my way to ACE hardware for the temp probe now!! (will be checking for the mouse nest too)
Jimmy Jet

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Jimmy Jet wrote:Thanks for the ideas ,, am on my way to ACE hardware for the temp probe now!! (will be checking for the mouse nest too)
I think you might be burning off musty-sitting-too-long.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jimmy Jet
I'm New!

Post by Jimmy Jet » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions... the temp probe idea in the dipstick hole worked great,,, about 160 degrees F for short drive,, no mouse nest (good news) and the shroud passages are clear. I believe that the engine was burning off old dirt and oil.
Thanks again
Jimmy Jet