Hello Betsy!

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Hello Betsy!

Post by DjEep » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Here she is. Work in progress. Needs rear drums and a front end rebuild to be "safe".
One rear drum and the spindles were bent as she slid sideways, but she still rolls, steers and stops. Speaking of which... anyone have any 65-compatible k&l spindles just takin' up space?
The only set I can find at the shop is rusted to holy heck, races and all.

Her good side:

Her pretty face:

Ouch:

Nice butt:

Risque!:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Hello Betsy!

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

DjEep wrote:Here she is. Work in progress. Needs rear drums and a front end rebuild to be "safe".
One rear drum and the spindles were bent as she slid sideways, but she still rolls, steers and stops. Speaking of which... anyone have any 65-compatible k&l spindles just takin' up space?
The only set I can find at the shop is rusted to holy heck, races and all.

Her good side:

Her pretty face:

Ouch:

Nice butt:

Risque!:
Photobucket has a "web-sizing" feature for their photo uploads. Please use it. Your photos are stretching my reply window to un-useable width.

That is a beautiful car. Took me 40 years or so to finally see them as pretty. What were the original colors int./ext?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Haha, will do. Didn't notice the the reply window didn't auto-resize.

I love 'em. My dad had a Volvo P-1800 when I was a kid, and these always reminded me of one, but with the engine in the right place :geek: :geek:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 am

DjEep wrote:Haha, will do. Didn't notice the the reply window didn't auto-resize.

I love 'em. My dad had a Volvo P-1800 when I was a kid, and these always reminded me of one, but with the engine in the right place :geek: :geek:
What is the original color ext/int combination on this car?
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am

Heavens to Betsy I like that car! I see it had a rack on the back.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:21 pm

Yup, gonna try to find a rack at some swapmeet this year, or have a welder friend build me one.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Well, just got one spindle done, was able to salvage the rusty ones after some pb, some wire wheel and some solvent, still nice and tight! Got the right spindle soaking now, beer break.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
DjEep wrote:Haha, will do. Didn't notice the the reply window didn't auto-resize.

What is the original color ext/int combination on this car?
Colin
The Volvo or the VW?

p-1800 was white paint/red leather

I think the ghia was always yellow, but the respray wasn't pretty. :pukeleft: The interior, I'm not sure, don't know how to trace it like a bus.

Also today I leather wrapped the wheel, sprayed the steering column lo-gloss black w/ yellow bracket, and the turnsignal switch yellow-base black-lever. Looks way better as opposed to the dirty white/yellow overspray they were before.

I'd post pictures, but my cell cam hates flouro lights.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:21 am

Ok, two spindles and an extra 'shirey Bloody Marydown, bedtime.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Just braggin' I guess...

Where she sits now:

Took her out to Bagby hot springs on Sunday. About 400mi roundtrip; her longest yet. No major problems, no oil light at idle (I did boost the idle to about 1100rpm), only a small chirp from the dizzy when I got home. Best of all, even with 3 people in her and running Premium, she made the trip for maybe $50.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed May 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Are you going to sell her?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu May 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Sure. For you, $10,000 :D

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 10, 2012 12:46 pm

DjEep wrote:Sure. For you, $10,000 :D
They are such strangely good-looking cars.
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Indeed they are. Still amazed when folks ask me what kind of car it is.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun May 13, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah, Every time I stop for gas in her it's either "what year?" or "what is that?!?"

Need to get a ghia cruise going some time. My buddy in town has an all original tan '69 in near perfect shape that he scored last year for $1000 because it was out of gas and the PO had given up years ago trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. He poured in some gas, jumped it, and drove it 200 miles home. Lucky @$!@&%