Deepak Chopra on Obama's strategy

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Deepak Chopra on Obama's strategy

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 am

This appeal to maturity and reason is surely something that both the right and the left find irritating, because nobody wants a light shined on their childish thought patterns, but this is something very near the core of what the Western World is challenged by today.

Annoying colored font is mine.

Why the Obama strategy may work

Deepak Chopra

Monday, August 15, 2011

When a President is caught in a "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" vise—as President Obama was during the debt ceiling crisis—it's tempting not to let him go. The right wing certainly feels that way, but the discourse on the left seems to be on the same track.

Maybe it's possible to raise the level of the discussion. One way is to see that the level of the solution isn't found on the same as the level of the problem. Obama has taken that view as his long-term strategy. His position is that acrimonious divisions in government, the problem, can't be solved by being even more acrimonious. His call for compromise, balance and a reasoned approach to our difficult challenges is a sane adult's way of rising above the level of the problem.

His adversaries on the right love this strategy because they have succeeded with distortion and demagoguery for a long time. In their view, acting like an adult is the same as showing weakness and in essence throwing away the game. By contrast, the left resents his strategy because they want to pound back at the right wing, getting in their licks while they have the chance. It seems to be the conventional wisdom at this particularly volatile moment to believe that the only person who is blind to his mistakes is the President himself.

In many ways the facts are on his side, but emotions aren't. We were saved from a second Great Depression; the auto industry was put back on its feet; progressive policies were implemented on many fronts that steadily began the grueling work of undoing thirty years of reactionary indoctrination. Yet there's no doubt that many cherished expectations were dashed. The rich still have their unjust tax cuts; the public option in health care wasn't enacted.

The President's men argue that no one could have done any better, given the harsh political climate. I think the real question isn't who's right, the President or his critics, but whether adult reason is the course to follow. Let's look at this question with an abbreviated pro and con, since we all know the particulars from following the news.

Pro: Obama's strategy is viable because the opposition would win in any contest based on fear, greed, and anger. Bad guys are always willing to sink lower than good guys ever will. Intolerance is never defeated by equal intolerance on the other side. Anger at the right wing is just as irrational as the right's hatred of progressivism. The future is unknown, and second-guessing past decisions disregards how tough it was to make those decisions (e.g., no debt ceiling deal, however blessed on the left, would have been assured to avert the present meltdown on Wall Street). Bridging divisions is ultimately the only way forward, and if now isn't the right time to attempt that, then there never will be a right time.

Con: An intolerant faction like the Tea Party cannot be tolerated. They must be stopped with harsh, combative measures. A crazy minority is running rough shod over the executive branch and shows no sign of relenting. Fighting for your principles is more honorable than compromise with immorality and injustice. Reason is a foolish, impotent guide when you are under constant attack. The bad guys should be named in public and opposed with all necessary force. Compromise is a nice word for lack of leadership, and lack of leadership will sink us all.

I'm well aware that the reader can pile more items on, probably weighing the con position more easily than buoying up the pro position. But the fallacy among the editorial writers and pundits crying havoc is that they assume that they possess answers better than what the White House is considering. I strongly doubt it.

Even in a climate of unprecedented hostility, the White House, the Fed, and the Treasury Department enacted every Keynesian-progressive economic solution available to it. Total success wasn't achieved. Anger and despair still have their desolate way all over the country. What's bitter about this situation is that the current global downturn cannot be fixed with a wave of the hand, either by our government, European governments, central banks here and abroad, fiscal and monetary policy, or the free market. Each country has faced the post-2008 financial crisis with its own solutions, and however different those solutions were, the results were distressingly short of success.

The New York Times ran a widely circulated and admired piece by a professor of psychology that deemed Obama a failure for not telling the American people a "story" that included villains and heroes, the kind of story our brains are constructed by evolution to understand. Leaders do lead by promoting a narrative that helps guide a group or nation. But in and of itself, a story won't change U.S. indebtedness, reverse the foreclosure rate, get legislation passed, or revalue the Chinese currency. While branding the Tea Party as villains may provide some emotional satisfaction to the left, it is not clear it would lead to a better functioning Congress, without which we are well and truly sunk. The villains of the piece are part of our social fabric, and the right course is to try and make no one a villain, I think. Even if its edges are frayed, "we are all in this together,” is the right story.

You and I have no power to alter the counsels of despair, nor is it clear that when weighed in the balance that the pros of a rational economic policy will be sufficient. Sometimes you do have to stop tolerating the intolerant. All I'm asking for is a sane consideration of how answers are reached when doing more of the same stops working.

Asking for Obama to stride forth with a flaming sword and a mythic tale strikes me as short sighted. The way out of a burning building isn't to call for more kerosene. The reason that the Obama strategy may work is the same reason that democracy has worked for many generations. Every other way is worse and at times catastrophic. 

Deepak Chopra is the author of over 60 books on health, success, relationships and spirituality, including "The Soul of Leadership." Learn more by logging on to http://www.deepakchopra.com or http://www.choprafoundation.org. To follow Deepak on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/DeepakChopra.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... y_work.DTL

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Deepak Chopra on Obama's strategy

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:33 pm

This . . . I shall ponder under the moon tonight.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Good- i am looking forward to your thoughts.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 pm

I thought it cut to the core pretty effectively. Big picture, reality, an adult step outside looking in at the morass of the current dysfunction petty taunting and poo poo slinging. The divides based on fear and demonizations which no camp can claim innocence of perpetuating or inciting.

Regardless of my "hope", and the truths that Chopra touched on, in the belly of the divide, my capacity for hope diminishes, and my optimism dims at the school room barbs, posturing and cashed dumped into perpetuating ignant fear against....well, them!, or them! etc etc etc. I am weary of it.

A grasp at a straw to still think another vote won't be a distasteful lesser of all the other evils.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:04 am

I still cling to hope that 20 years from now I will look back and realize that Barack Obama cared more about his own personal moral compass and his own inner life and integrity than he did about his career or politics. Even if he is rendered ineffective by the children who run our country and can't see past their own bulbous noses, I hope he stands in his own truth.

Most days I feel like that's the opposite of what's happening, but somewhere inside of me, I hope my perception of the man is wrong.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 am

I think he's right--the "adult" approach is not always appropriate. Some people see it as a sign of weakness and use it against you. I've had that happen myself.

Sometimes, a firmer hand is called for. Sometimes you have to come down hard and make it clear you're not to be f^%#@ with. The people making trouble for our president are acting like children and getting away with it. He needs to take control like a good parent would.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 am

As usual, I've read it twice but I think I need to read it again to make sure I get it all.

It sounds like he is in favor of logic, adult logic, and that he sees that lacking. Well, amen, sorta what I've been saying for years and laterly. I see people conditioned in a certain manor, and emotions have been used to do this. Emotions are the best and perhaps only way to condition in reactions without thinking. (bypassing the critical thinking of the conscious mind (one definition of hypnosis)).

Following the thought of using adult logic, I'd like to mention that one should consider that as long as
a person feels there right to be in charge of themselves is violated, things will not be at rest. I'm not just talking about people who agree with much of what I say, I'm talking about everyone no matter what they label themselves, they will not be at rest when they can't govern over something they consider their own. This is a human nature thing, inherit self evident thing. So it would do one well to realize how we all have different opinions, so to think of letting a majority decide more than simple protection laws, but instead morality and good, is always going to result in discourse and resentment. (shameless plug for small government.

I look forward to see what others get out of that.

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:30 am

So a couple of posters on this thread seem to want a Daddy who has a good dose of self esteem who will teach his children he's not a guy to be F***ed with. Yeah that's what the country needs a strongman with a heart who will get all us recalcitrant young'uns in line with the threat of the back hand.

I say bring it on. Lets see the deep thinking pantywaist turn into Blutto trying to corral all of us wrong thinking Americans into the good little lambs he knows we can be.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:27 am

See, that's how it would work if he stooped. People who play that way love when you play that way.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Velokid1 wrote:See, that's how it would work if he stooped. People who play that way love when you play that way.
:cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles